Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#16637 - 04/09/2000 11:36 Samba on the Empeg Car Player
Blacksun
new poster

I am trying to setup Samba on the Empeg car player.
Anyone done this before?

If so please let us know how you configured it ...

.: Mirko

.: i love my empeg!!

#16638 - 05/09/2000 00:02 Re: Samba on the Empeg Car Player [Re: Blacksun]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
I am trying to setup Samba on the Empeg car player. Anyone done this before?

I'm not a technical type (Samba? Isn't that some kind of latin dance?) but I remember seeing references to Samba in other posts on this bbs. A search for 'Samba' brings up more than a dozen hits. Did you try that?

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#16639 - 05/09/2000 01:21 Re: Samba on the Empeg Car Player [Re: tanstaafl.]
Blacksun
new poster

Samba is a cifs/smb emulation for Unix/Linux systems. cifs/smb are the network file sharing protocols of Microsoft. This means that the empeg can be accessed with any Windows operating system.

Currently I installed the linux-arm port of samba on my empeg. After playing around a few hours my deamons are now running. But it seems, that there is a problem with the kernel.
The samba server can't do any locks and semaphores.

does some one have experience with samba?

thank's

#16640 - 05/09/2000 08:06 Re: Samba on the Empeg Car Player [Re: Blacksun]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Sounds like you need to rebuild your kernel to include semaphores and lock mechanisms, which I doubt would be set on in the default config file for a small kernel such as this running in limited space.

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#16641 - 05/09/2000 09:00 Re: Samba on the Empeg Car Player [Re: Blacksun]
kim

Loc: Helsinki, Finland
Currently I installed the linux-arm port of samba on my empeg. After playing around a few hours my deamons are now running. But it seems, that there is a problem with the kernel.
The samba server can't do any locks and semaphores.

does some one have experience with samba?

I've had Samba-2.0.7 running some months already.

The kernel does not have semaphores but I would suggest you to cross-compile Samba without semaphores instead of adding semaphore support to kernel. For interprocess communication, LinuxThreads works much better and faster than any of that System V IPC stuff.

If I recall right, you still need to do some modifications to the Samba files to get it correctly compiled. I have the modified source tree (over 20 megs uncompressed) if you're interested.

When you have a working binary of Samba, you'll still need to do quite some modifications to directory structures and such to make it actually work. Some directories in /etc must exist and they need to be always RW mounted in order to get Samba running.

Kim

#16642 - 05/09/2000 11:08 Re: Samba on the Empeg Car Player [Re: kim]
Blacksun
new poster

Ohh i had exactly that problem with the semaphores. If you could give me an ftp or http address, where I can get the modified source code it would be so great. Then I don't have to do all that my own.
I mad already some modifications, but I'm planning to make a install script ...
It isn't ideal to mount the disk's rw. But I need to figure out what kind of writes samba makes ... Else I could mount a ramdrive for this writes ...

Thank's for your Input ...

#16643 - 05/09/2000 11:56 Re: Samba on the Empeg Car Player [Re: schofiel]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
I'll try turning it on for the mk2 kernel and see how much space it adds: if it's not too big we'll turn it on as default. There's already IrDA in the mk2 kernel as standard, and that's fairly large.

Hugo

#16644 - 06/09/2000 05:18 Re: Samba on the Empeg Car Player [Re: Blacksun]
kim

If you could give me an ftp or http address, where I can get the modified source code it would be so great.

You can get the whole 7MB modified tarball from here.

It isn't ideal to mount the disk's rw. But I need to figure out what kind of writes samba makes ... Else I could mount a ramdrive for this writes ...

I would suggest to take the /dev/hda2 parition in use and to move the /etc /var and such folders there and making that partition always RW mounted. Makes a lot of other programs work better as well, as they can then write misc information somewhere.

Kim

#16645 - 06/09/2000 07:21 Re: Samba on the Empeg Car Player [Re: kim]
ClemsonJeep
enthusiast

Loc: Ashburn, VA
Is /dev/hda2 actually used with the default empeg install? It shows up as being partitioned in fdisk, but there is no fs that I can tell on it. (At least, it won't mount).

(O|||||O)

#16646 - 06/09/2000 07:56 Re: Samba on the Empeg Car Player [Re: ClemsonJeep]
kim

Is /dev/hda2 actually used with the default empeg install? It shows up as being partitioned in fdisk, but there is no fs that I can tell on it. (At least, it won't mount).

No, it's not used by default. You need to format it first, then create a directory and mount it.

Kim

#16647 - 17/09/2000 09:35 Re: Samba on the Empeg Car Player [Re: kim]
Blacksun
new poster

Hi Kim

Great work. I just compiled the source code moved it to the empeg and with some little modifications of file locations the Samba Server is now up and running.

#16648 - 17/09/2000 12:34 Re: Samba on the Empeg Car Player [Re: Blacksun]
Nils

Loc: Germany
Wow thats cool !
Blacksum, could you summarize, whats neccesary ??

Thanks so much:

Nils