Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#17813 - 16/09/2000 01:03 PPP over USB on a MK I
PeterH
new poster

Loc: Perth, Western Australia
I have searched this bbs (relatively) unsucessfully for info on running ppp over usb between my empeg and my linux PC (i386) I have installed the backport for usb on the PC and can tranfer info between then (ie cat /dev/usb > file etc) and emptool runs ok. I have installed the debian image, but when i look for ppp or pppd all i can find is ppp.o . If i try to insmod this, i get an error

empeg:/# insmod /lib/modules/2.2.10/net/ppp.o
/lib/modules/2.2.10/net/ppp.o: kernel-module version mismatch
/lib/modules/2.2.10/net/ppp.o was compiled for kernel version 2.2.10
while this kernel is version 2.2.14-rmk5-np17-empeg35.

I realise that this is a kernel version error, but does it mean that I have to recompile the empeg kernel? gulp.... or am i barking up the wrong tree?
Can someone point me to the blindingly obvious error that I suspect I have made?

thanks

PeterH
" 'tis better to be silent and thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

#17814 - 16/09/2000 23:11 Re: PPP over USB on a MK I [Re: PeterH]
n6mod
enthusiast

Loc: Berkeley, CA
Actually, something resembling a HOWTO on getting PPP over USB running would be very useful. It would go a long way towards my goal of converting my Mk.I to a piece of home entertainment gear. ;) Anyone more knowledgeable than I want to give me an outline? I'm happy to convert scribblings to prose for a proper HOWTO.

-Z

-Zandr
Mk.I #150
Mk.II #39
Mk.IIa #010101243 currently getting a 500GB SSD. More spares in the shed.

#17815 - 16/09/2000 23:31 Re: PPP over USB on a MK I [Re: n6mod]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Actually, something resembling a HOWTO on getting PPP over USB running would be very useful.

I'd be interested in this as well. Also, I'm wondering whether this can be supported in the Windows environment? I'm still wishing I could use my Mark1 as a file taxi.

#17816 - 17/09/2000 03:34 Re: PPP over USB on a MK I [Re: tfabris]
PeterH
new poster

Loc: Perth, Western Australia
In other posts on this board (projects I think) there was a mention that the empeg could be talked to as a general/generic serial device under linux. this would imply that you could do the same under win32 if a device driver for generic serial comms is available. On the empeg, you would have to run minicom or similar (the linux equivelent of hyperterminal) and tell it that the comm device was /dev/usb. you could then do a simple send file from hyperterminal pointing to comX: (the usb serial device) and the same the other way using sz or rz (zmodem transfer.)
Currently i am running minicom on a linux box and file sending to /dev/empeg-car, and at the command line on the empeg just using cat /dev/usb >filename . It's rough but it works. I do the same in reverse to get the files off at the other end. what I need at a minimum is to figure out something a bit nicer at the empeg end. Of course ppp would be better but i 'm only a newbie at the linux game. with a bit of luck one of the linux gurus will help out. plead plead ^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H

PeterH
" 'tis better to be silent and thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"