Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#336155 - 16/08/2010 01:04 Absolutely ridiculous Windows question
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
If there ever was an absolutely trivial question about Windows, this must be it.

You know how, when you're entering a password or other information that you have stored in cookies, there is a drop-down menu where you can select the correct entry rather than having to type it in each time?

I have one site that I use a lot where I get to choose from 10 different cookies, each one a 14-digit number. Depending on what I need to do, I will choose one of those 10 log-in keys.

It used to be that those keys would remain in the same order in the drop-down box that they were in when I first entered them. Now it appears that Windows (or Firefox?) is trying to be helpful, and moving whichever key I last used to the top of the list. I would prefer that they stay in their original sequence, as they would then be ordered logically by how I use them.

Is this some deeply buried FireFox or Windows setting that somehow got changed, maybe when SP2 went in, or FireFox got updated? Or am I stuck with this unwanted behavior?

This is such a non-serious problem that I hesitate to list it here, only doing so because I know how much fun some of you have trying to figure things like this out.

tanstaafl.

#336157 - 16/08/2010 01:19 Re: Absolutely ridiculous Windows question [Re: tanstaafl.]
tman
carpal tunnel

about:config and change browser.formfill.timeGroupingSize to 0.

#336162 - 16/08/2010 05:01 Re: Absolutely ridiculous Windows question [Re: tman]
BartDG
carpal tunnel

Loc: Bruges, Belgium
Originally Posted By: tman

To elaborate a bit more: type "about:config" in the URL field of your FireFox browser, and then you'll see a lot of settings, amongst which " browser.formfill.timeGroupingSize". Just change its setting to "0".

#336171 - 16/08/2010 12:28 Re: Absolutely ridiculous Windows question [Re: tman]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant

Yup. I did this straight away as soon as Firefox tried to become 'more helpful' a few revs back.
All of my typical CraigsList searches went from nicely alphabetic order to some seemingly random jumble. Gee, thanks. (rolls eyes)

#336172 - 16/08/2010 12:30 Re: Absolutely ridiculous Windows question [Re: BartDG]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Originally Posted By: Archeon

To elaborate a bit more: type "about:config" in the URL field of your FireFox browser, and then you'll see a lot of settings, amongst which " browser.formfill.timeGroupingSize". Just change its setting to "0".

How is it even possible that you guys know stuff like that? I am speechless! And you know what? Changing that setting to "0" magically rearranged my scrambled cookies/keys back to where they were originally, I didn't even have to re-enter them.

Thank you, thank you. That was amazing.

tanstaafl.