Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#128028 - 26/11/2002 00:34 Vanishing empeg... pucker factor
elvis
enthusiast

Loc: Arizona USA
Well, after all the stolen empegs, and tonys (warranted) admonitions I had decided to take the empeg in every night even if I wasn't going to use it (no garage).

Tonight was one of those. I was just settling down when.. a little mouse in the back of my head said "you need to go outside.. NOW".

I went out and... aside from freezing cats something was amiss... My car's cover was hitched up on the passengers front corner like a bar maid promising more than drinks and cleavage...

I pulled the car cover off the passenger's side and, with great trepidation tugged the door handle.

"Pop" goes the door.

<[censored]>

The empeg is GONE!

<ohshitohshitohshitohshitohshitohshit>

so, why is the sled still there?

#128029 - 26/11/2002 08:27 Re: Vanishing empeg... pucker factor [Re: elvis]
Anonymous
Unregistered

you took it inside?

#128030 - 28/11/2002 22:28 Re: Vanishing empeg... pucker factor [Re: ]
elvis
enthusiast

Ladies, give the man a prize! I found it!

#128031 - 29/11/2002 02:18 Re: Vanishing empeg... pucker factor [Re: elvis]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Errr... where?
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#128032 - 29/11/2002 03:07 Re: Vanishing empeg... pucker factor [Re: schofiel]
ricin
veteran

Loc: US: CA
...Inside... As it says in his original post.
ricin.us

#128033 - 29/11/2002 11:59 Re: Vanishing empeg... pucker factor [Re: schofiel]
elvis
enthusiast

It was on the back of couch. We have so much stuff, it got lost in the rest. (Archeologists will have a great time with the dig on our house when they do it. 4 feet ~= 1 year....)

When I first saw it missing, my universe went sideways. Here's hoping I don't leave it in the car when it counts.

#128034 - 29/11/2002 16:20 Re: Vanishing empeg... pucker factor [Re: elvis]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK

Glad you found it.

I've probably told this one before: just after I got my original Mk 1, I went shopping in town with my wife and kids. I had one of the prototype empeg bags, and my habit was to take out the unit, zip it into the bag, swing the bag onto the roof of the Mini, and then climb out and let the kids out.

We were walking round some shop when something started nibbling the back of my neck. Hang on, where's the b***** empeg? Given the vast amounts of money invested, we both panicked and I ended up sprinting about a mile back to the car....

... to see the empeg, still bagged, lying on top of the car, untouched.

Whew.
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#128035 - 30/11/2002 09:22 Re: Vanishing empeg... pucker factor [Re: schofiel]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
I too have had this problem, I was in the middle of a conversation with my boss when I realised I'd left the empeg in the car, according to my boss I stopped mid-sentence and ran away. I don't actually remember stopping talking so I assume it was completely autonomic. All I knew was that my empeg was alone in the car parked on the nastier side of town.

My boss comes to expect these kinds of things nowadays!

Andy M

#128036 - 30/11/2002 12:47 Re: Vanishing empeg... pucker factor [Re: andym]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
That's funny. I had a dream that my car got jacked because I left it in a dark part of long term parking at an airport for a few days while on vacation. When I got back to the car, the windows were smashed, the faceplate-less Alpine deck was smashed up and the empeg sled was a bit ripped up. I was so panicked because my car was wrecked. Then, I realized that my empeg and Alpine faceplate were safely in my Pelican case with my luggage, right behind me. But I was still all pissed off because I thought I had my stuff stolen.

It wasn't until I woke up that I realized that I really hadn't had anything stolen; just my car got broken into. Well, that was a hell of a lot better than the more recent dream I had in which I left my wallet and rental car keys at an airport counter, assuming they were safe while I quick ran back to grab something from my rental car (and how I did that without the keys is beyond me). When I got back to the counter, my wallet was there with all cards and ID stripped, my passport was gone, and my rental car was gone. When I went back to the car, I found it was gone too. Ah, nothing like being stranded on the West Coast USA (since I'm east coast) with no ID, no cash, and no car. But, I distinctly remember that I had my Pelican case tightly pressed under my arm, so I wasn't THAT panicked.

#128037 - 01/12/2002 15:32 Re: Vanishing empeg... pucker factor [Re: schofiel]
phaigh
addict

Loc: Reading, UK
Heh, I left my mk1 in a Virgin Megastore. Went to get my wallet out, put empeg down (in case) on the stack of Black Tapes, paid, left.

Shopped for another hour or two, got back to car. ... er ... No Music....

ohshitohshitohshitohshitohshitohshitohshitohshitohshitohshitohshitohshit

Run (which is not normal for me) back to Virgin, don't see the damn thing.... not happy .... ask around - no-one's seen it....

Take another, calmer look, find it next to a different till - someone must have moved it, but didn't steal it... phew.

Now, I hardly ever let the current empeg out of my sight, never leave it in the car.

Paul.