Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#9909 - 26/06/2000 13:46 Adjust MP3 file volume
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Hey, everyone. Remember how, a while back, when we were discussing the normalization of MP3 files? One of our intrepid BBSers suggested that you might be able to alter one of the fields in an MP3 frame to change the amplification level of that frame.

Guess what? The author of MP3Trim just did it. Check out the new version of MP3Trim at his web site.

#9910 - 26/06/2000 15:25 Re: Adjust MP3 file volume [Re: tfabris]
Verement
journeyman

Loc: Boston, MA, US
So, was this a direct result of my suggestion to adjust the global_gain field, or just coincidence?

Either way, neat.

-v

#9911 - 26/06/2000 15:38 Re: Adjust MP3 file volume [Re: Verement]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

So, was this a direct result of my suggestion to adjust the global_gain field, or just coincidence?

Although I have, in the past, been in contact with MP3Trim's author (he helped me a bit when i was writing GapKiller), I don't believe I ever mentioned that field or directed him to this BBS. Since he's never posted here (that I've noticed), it's probably safe to say that it was a coincidence.

#9912 - 18/07/2000 16:11 Re: Adjust MP3 file volume [Re: tfabris]
Lord Bleys

Nifty...

-- Bleys

"If you would judge, understand." -- Seneca

#9913 - 29/07/2000 20:03 Fade in and fade out... [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

He did it again. The author of MP3Trim is one step ahead of me.

I'm sitting there, thinking, "if one can alter the gain fields individual MP3 frames, you could do volume-scaling effects without having to decode and re-encode the file. Probably too coarse to do real-time normalization or dynamic compression, but I'll bet you could get away with fade-ins or fade-outs if the timing was within a reasonable range."

So I write an e-mail to Jean about this, and he says "What a coincidence. I just uploaded the new MP3Trim with that feature to my web site five minutes ago."

Seriously- He was uploading it as I was typing him the e-mail message. I had literally just gone to his web site to snag his e-mail address, and the new version wasn't there yet. I hit "reload" and there it was.