Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#81032 - 15/03/2002 10:27 DirectX Plugin effects
darwin
enthusiast

I was just wondering the possibilites of being able to apply real time directx effects when playing mp3s. I have run into some interesting effects, like vocal remover, which does a pretty decent job on some songs, and would like to know if that processing power is available on the empeg. I can apply the effect on my computer using Sound Forge and it is done processing in 5 seconds, so I would think that real time processing should be easy for the empeg. Other preset effects like reverb, echo, chorus, noisegate, pitch shift, tempo control, etc could be interesting to hear in the car too. What do you think?

#81033 - 15/03/2002 10:40 Re: DirectX Plugin effects [Re: darwin]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
There is enough processing power in the player to do some of the things you describe.

However, you would need to write the software yourself, or convince someone to write the software to do it, as it doesn't run DirectX, doesn't use an Intel processor or Windows, and therefore can't use those plugins.

Certain digital signal processing features have already been added to the player. Examples are real-time dynamic compression/volume leveling, Left/Right soundstage image placement, and, in the latest beta, stereo bleed. Some of these are found in the default player software, and others can be found in third-party addons such as the Hijack kernel.

Note that these features are present because they have a direct benefit to the player's primary purpose: To be a high quality car stereo. Other features, such as adding echo, removing vocals, or pitch shifting, while they are interesting novelties, aren't related to the player's core function and probably won't appear in the default software.

If you wish for any of these novelty features to be added, you can take a look at the source code for Hijack and see if it's possible to insert them yourself. Mark is often happy to add features to Hijack if he's supplied a nice clean ready-made patch.

#81034 - 15/03/2002 11:37 Re: DirectX Plugin effects [Re: tfabris]
jnmunsey

Loc: Houston, TX, USA
I thought it used an Intel StrongArm...?

#81035 - 15/03/2002 11:39 Re: DirectX Plugin effects [Re: jnmunsey]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Okay, it doesn't use an an Intel x86 processor...

#81036 - 15/03/2002 11:40 Re: DirectX Plugin effects [Re: jnmunsey]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Tony means it doesn't use Intel x86 architecture. StrongArm is a RISC chip. Also, the StrongArm was originally a Digital (DEC) component IIRC.

#81037 - 15/03/2002 15:05 Re: DirectX Plugin effects [Re: robricc]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Wasn't it developed in conjunction with Advanced Risc Machines? Hence the ARM bit in StrongARM.

Long live Acorn!

Andy M