Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#78021 - 05/03/2002 23:08 Anyone using Mk2a with Nakamichi 45-z head unit?
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
I have recently purchased a Mk2a and I am going to install it in a 2000 Subaru Outback. I have a double-din (actually a triple-din) dash, and I do not have an amp installed in my car. I have been looking at the Nakamichi 45-z to use with my empeg in my car, plugging the empeg into the AUX in of the Nak. I figure this head unit will give me the quality I need for the future as I invest in other sound upgrades for my car.

I searched this forum for any posts related to this head unit, and I came upon this post describing problems with the 1v inputs of the Nak and 4v outputs of the empeg (This post references a Mk1). Would this be a problem with my Mk2a, and is there anyone using a Nakamichi 45-z with a Mk2a unit? I didn't see anything mentioned about this problem in the FAQ.

-Mark

#78022 - 06/03/2002 23:47 Re: Anyone using Mk2a with Nakamichi 45-z head unit? [Re: cushman]
rockstar
enthusiast

if you are using the outs and ins, you really need them to match.

#78023 - 07/03/2002 03:58 Re: Anyone using Mk2a with Nakamichi 45-z head unit? [Re: cushman]
Bagpuss

Loc: UK
I'm not using the Nak, but I am using a second head unit to provide amplification for the Empeg.

I was initially concerned about the high voltage from the Empeg pre-amp outputs, but you have to bear in mind that they will only be putting out +4v when you have the volume right up.

When I did my install, I turned the volume on the Empeg down to 0, and turned the volume on the second head unit to maximum. I then turned the volume on the Empeg up until the sound from the second head unit began to distort. Crank the Empeg back a couple of dB from there, and you should be fine.

From then on, always control the volume using the second head unit.

For reference, I am using a Kenwood KDC-8090R as the second head unit, which I believe also has 1v pre-amp inputs.

As an aside, I am currently trying to see if there is a way to make the Hijack kernel disable the rotary control for volume +/- purposes. In this way, you wouldn't accidentally increase the volume to beyond what your second head unit can take.

Andy.

#78024 - 07/03/2002 08:20 Re: Anyone using Mk2a with Nakamichi 45-z head unit? [Re: cushman]
bamboo
new poster

I used to use a MK1 with a Nakamichi 40-z head unit and it worked perfectly. A little different scenario but I don't thinkgs have changed that much.

#78025 - 07/03/2002 14:14 Re: Anyone using Mk2a with Nakamichi 45-z head unit? [Re: bamboo]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
Cool, thank you guys! From doing some more research, I think it will work fine.