Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#65975 - 02/02/2002 14:39 Trouble with car install
odenspike
new poster

Hi, just got my player and am trying to get it hooked up. When I plugged it into the AC power the screen comes up and says RIO on it. And that is all it does. When I try to power it up in the car it wont even do that. I am putting this in a 1991 Rodeo. Is is possible that I have a defective unit. Also when I installed emplode I cant get it to see the player. Thanks for your help.

Charlie

#65976 - 02/02/2002 14:43 Re: Trouble with car install [Re: odenspike]
tarkie
journeyman

Before Tony gets a chance, check out this part of the FAQ

#65977 - 02/02/2002 14:48 Re: Trouble with car install [Re: tarkie]
odenspike
new poster

Thanks. My luck is that I only have today to get this thing working, then I am going to be out of town for 3 months. So I guess I am SOL if I need support. It took them 3 days just to tell me if the player actually shipped out. I got the thing before they even replied.

#65978 - 02/02/2002 14:57 Re: Trouble with car install [Re: odenspike]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
My luck is that I only have today to get this thing working, then I am going to be out of town for 3 months.

Well, you can bring the player with you out of town, can't you?

Since it's the weekend, you won't be able to reach the support team in England, so they can't give you the go-ahead to crack open the player until Monday. And none of us here have the authority to authorize you to do it.

However, I will tell you this:

If you are careful, and you're experienced with this kind of thing (working with computer components), you will have no trouble opening the player and either reseating the cable or moving the drive to the other connecor. Whenever you do get through to support, that's what David will tell you to do, and he'll simply refer you to the Drive Upgrade guide for the instructions anyway.

But, I can't speak for David, and I don't know with absolute certainty that he'd authorize you to do that. I'm pretty sure it'd be all right given the circumstances. But if you are clumsy and you damage the player in the process, you will have to pay for the repair bill.

You take a chance either way. I leave it to you. - Morpheus

#65979 - 02/02/2002 15:13 Re: Trouble with car install [Re: tfabris]
odenspike
new poster

Yeah, I just really didnt want to make a 1000 mile road trip with no radio I tried it myself and reseated the ide cable since it has 2 drives I didnt swap them. I was able to get it to come up inside, now lets see if I can get it to power up in the car. Earlier it wouldnt even pull up the RIO blue screen.

Thanks.

#65980 - 02/02/2002 16:37 Re: Trouble with car install [Re: odenspike]
djdrock
journeyman

my fingers are crossed for you! Let us know the outcome!

#65981 - 02/02/2002 19:20 Re: Trouble with car install [Re: djdrock]
odenspike
new poster

Well, I ran out of time to get it up and running, so I had to put my old deck back in. Guess I will fight the battle at a later time. Atleast it works in the house, so that is good. Thanks for everybody's help.

Charlie

#65982 - 02/02/2002 20:12 Re: Trouble with car install [Re: odenspike]
odenspike
new poster

Update, my friend that was helping me today just called and said that he talked to another friend who is a stereo instlaler and he said the reason that the rio wasnt powering up may have been due to the fact that on some foreign cars the antenna is the ground and the ground wire that is on the harness is just a dummy wire. This would make sense because when we where trying to trouble shoot, when ever we would unhook the antenna on the old head unit it would lose power and when ever we would plug it back in it would power back up. We just never put the fact that it may be part of the circuit together with the problem. Maybe this will help somebody down the road.