Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#61969 - 25/01/2002 12:44 You Guys Were Right -- Re: Tivo [Re: grgcombs]
njdboy

Loc: San Jose, CA
H/HU Hack/Emulation is a way to hack DirecTV and recieve all the channels for free. I think as of right now though, only Emulation is working, where you have a pc connected to your receiver box manipulating the box to think you have a "vip pass" to all the channels. Hope that clears that up. More info at http://www.dssware.com if you want it.

#61970 - 25/01/2002 16:19 You Guys Were Right -- Re: Tivo [Re: grgcombs]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
H and HU cards are two different types of Smartcards. HU are the current set of cards. H were the ones previous to that. And for historic reference, the ones before that were F cards. The current DTV stream can be decoded only by H and HU cards. F cards were phased out numerous years ago.

Now, I'm sure you can guess what the other terms applied to these card types mean.

My friend (who is in the US) found the $70 deal and thinks this could be a good deal for him. Apparently it comes out cheaper than a previous quote he had for three regular receivers.

And if it matters to anyone, the coolest (fastest and best menu systems) receivers I've ever used are from Hughes. I've never seen a Tivo DTV yet - again, DirecTV is not available in Canada (only a couple of Canadian alternatives, the most popular one based on Dishnet hardware)

Bruno

#61971 - 25/01/2002 22:04 You Guys Were Right -- Re: Tivo [Re: hybrid8]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
And if it matters to anyone, the coolest (fastest and best menu systems) receivers I've ever used are from Hughes.

I will agree with you on this, however, in the world of DirecTiVo it doesn't matter. The hardware used in the Sony, Hughes, and Philips models are identical. I described the slight differences in this thread.

Unfortunately, DirecTiVo units are probably the slowest current receivers at changing channels. For what it's worth, the now defunct UltimateTV is even slower. This is one of the major things I would love to see changed on the DirecTiVos.

#61972 - 26/01/2002 07:22 You Guys Were Right -- Re: Tivo [Re: robricc]
Dylan
addict

Loc: Virginia, USA
In reply to:

the now defunct UltimateTV is even slower

Did they really kill the product? I saw something about MS moving the UltimateTV office to Redmond and merging it with the XBox group, but I hadn't seen anything about them EOL'ing UltimateTV.

-Dylan

#61973 - 26/01/2002 15:05 You Guys Were Right -- Re: Tivo [Re: Dylan]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Yeah, I think it's more serious than just moving people around.
http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/news/svfront/ms012202.htm

#61974 - 26/01/2002 17:46 You Guys Were Right -- Re: Tivo [Re: grgcombs]
jdandrea

Loc: New Jersey
In reply to:

DoubI didn't see a true DB9 serial port on the back, looks like it's a type of headphone connection for serial ... I haven't researched this yet, but are you guys familiar with this? do I need to find an adapter similar to the pronto's serial cable? (semi-headphone type to db9).

I know the Philips TiVo units (at least the one I have) come with an adapter cable. Rummage through your accessory bag to see if it's hiding.

(Hey, I can't use markup anymore in my posts - huh? wha?)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2