Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#374155 - 21/09/2023 21:46 Suzuka Grand Prix schedule of events
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
I will [hopefully] be watching the Suzuka Grand Prix and related events live streamed from Sky Sports F1 this weekend..

I started out trying to convert local Suzuka schedule of events times to Guadalajara time, and with the 15 hour time difference Suzuka ahead of Guadalajara, the 7 hour time difference London behind Guadalajara, the question of daylight savings time, UTC time, the near certainty that some of the events will cross the international date line so even my friggin' dates are going to be wrong for some of the events.... Arrrrggghhh!

Can someone here who is smarter than me (i.e., virtually all of you) tell me the London dates/times that Sky Sports will stream the following events:

Free Practice 1
Free Practice 2
Free Practice 3
Qualifying
Grand Prix

I can deal with the London --> Guadalajara time conversion.

In case you want to try going down the rabbit hole I tried and gave up on, here are the local Suzuka scheduled times:

FP1 will be 1130 Friday
FP2 will be 1500 Friday
FP3 will be 1130 Saturday
Qualifying 1500 Saturday
Grand Prix 2300 Sunday

I THINK that here in Guadalajara

FP1 will be Thursday at 2030
FP2 will be Friday at 0000 (midnight)
FP3 will be Friday at 2030
Qualifying Saturday at 0000 (midnight)
Grand Prix Saturday at 2300.

but who knows? Hell, I'm retired, I don't even know what month it is half the time.

tanstaafl.

#374156 - 21/09/2023 23:38 Re: Suzuka Grand Prix schedule of events [Re: tanstaafl.]
Attack
addict

Loc: Florida
I think timeanddate.com might help, not sure if I added the correct options and times. The used the race start time I found 14:00 (2pm) in Japan and I believe you are in Mexico.
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html?iso=20230922T050000&p1=tz_jst&p2=92

I also found this article that shows the race start time in many different time zones.
https://racingnews365.com/what-time-does-the-2023-f1-japanese-grand-prix-start

Maybe these will help.

#374157 - 22/09/2023 01:00 Re: Suzuka Grand Prix schedule of events [Re: Attack]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Your two links seem to contradict each other by one hour. Your first link puts the start at 11pm and your second link puts the start at midnight. I think your first link is right, and the second link is... not "wrong" technically, but, "incomplete" for Doug's purposes.

Daylight Saving time might be the reason for the difference.

I think it might be because both links are showing USA central time, which is related to, but not always the same as, Guadalajara time. If I'm reading my research right, neither Japan nor Mexico observe daylight saving. So USA's current central time would be a correct equivalent to Guadalajara only some of the year, but not the summer months when DST is still in effect (like right now).

So your first link lists the times as "JST" and "CST", the "S" part representing standard, not daylight, times. Your first link puts the race start at 11:00 CST. Which is, I think, good? Since CST (standard, not daylght) is, I think, the same as Guadalajara.

I think the second link is incomplete for Doug's purposes because it lists CDT, daylight time, which is an hour off of Guadalajara at the moment. It's correct if you live in the USA but not if you live in Mexico.

I think. Time zones are fucking confusing. I could have all of that totally wrong.

#374158 - 22/09/2023 13:30 Re: Suzuka Grand Prix schedule of events [Re: tanstaafl.]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
...the near certainty that some of the events will cross the international date line so even my friggin' dates are going to be wrong for some of the events.... Arrrrggghhh!

And that turned out to be the crux of the problem. My spreadsheet actually did get time times right, but the event times that crossed the international date line between Japan and Mexico showed the wrong date. The snippet of spreadsheet shown below demonstrates the error before it was fixed.

I found and bookmarked a website that greatly simplified things for me. (See screenshots.) I am glad to see that I am not the only one not smart enough to deal with time zones across international date lines! crazy

tanstaafl.

Attachments
Suzuka 1.png

Suzuka 2-W1024.jpg

Suzuka 3-W1024.jpg

Edited by tanstaafl. (22/09/2023 13:37)
Edit Reason: Reduce file size of attachments

#374163 - 25/09/2023 12:29 Re: Suzuka Grand Prix schedule of events [Re: tanstaafl.]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
I was going to mention the Formula 1 website for the time conversions.

I don't know how Sky does it, but F1 TV (which is awesome) starts the Pre-Qualifying and Pre-Race shows like 30-60 mins before the scheduled time. So I keep an eye on the countdown and start the stream a few mins before the show starts.