Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#371138 - 23/07/2018 11:26 Possible site breakage
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
I'm going to be enabling HTTPS for empegbbs.com, so if you see some breakage of the site over the next few days don't be surprised.

#371140 - 23/07/2018 11:56 Re: Possible site breakage [Re: andy]
andy
carpal tunnel

empegbbs.com is now accessible via HTTPS (or at least it will be as the DNS changes propagate).

I'm using CloudFlare to achieve it, with minimal effort. I've set it to redirect everyone to HTTPS even if you load the HTTP version.

Let me know if you see any major breakage.

(Chrome will start flagging non HTTPS sites as insecure in the next version, I didn't want the first site I load each day to be labelled as insecure)

For anyone wanting a quick, easy way to get their site using HTTPS, I recommend cloudflare.com

Moving three domains over to HTTPS using it has been painless so far. Point your DNS servers at theirs, they proxy all your traffic, zero changes needed on the web server end.

It isn't as good as doing it "properly", as any traffic between cloudflare and the server isn't encrypted, but it is a hell of a lot easier than even LetsEncrypt.

It is free for their basic service, which includes great caching and DDOS protection and a few other bits and pieces.

#371141 - 23/07/2018 12:01 Re: Possible site breakage [Re: andy]
andy
carpal tunnel

Although thanks to our support for external URLs for user's avatar images, you will find that some pages/threads are marked as not fully secure by the browser. Might need to see if there is some way of proxying those images.