Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#297269 - 19/04/2007 10:22 Where to download upgclient
touchstone
new poster

I'm trying to replace the primary drive in an empeg (just purchased after ~7 years of waiting - yay).

My computers are all linux based. The instructions for applying the disk builder and player software upgrades from a Linux host reference an "upgclient" program, which appears to be part of a tarball called car-empeg-2.0.tgz (or something similar) which used to be on the empeg site. I haven't been able to find either the file or package available for download. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

#297270 - 19/04/2007 11:33 Re: Where to download upgclient [Re: touchstone]
LittleBlueThing
addict

Loc: Reading, UK
Welcome touchstone and congrats

Nice to have another linux user...

The BBS has lots of great links under the title at the top.

One of them is 'Hijack' - Mark runs linux so he has a few helpful scripts - so click that and the fourth line down is 'upgrader'.

#297271 - 19/04/2007 11:48 Re: Where to download upgclient [Re: touchstone]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Mmm... I don't think we have an automatic diskbuilder method for pure Linux yet.

You (like me) may have to follow Roger's instructions for a manual disk build.

Someday, I should fix Hijack to do auto-ip-configuration, and then it could run my Linux "upgrader" program on a blank disk. But right now it cannot, because it relies on the player software to do the ip-configuration.

-ml

#297272 - 19/04/2007 12:34 Re: Where to download upgclient [Re: mlord]
LittleBlueThing
addict

Quote:
Mmm... I don't think we have an automatic diskbuilder method for pure Linux yet.

You (like me) may have to follow Roger's instructions for a manual disk build.

Oops - I've bought but not yet installed my big disk so I'm glad you mentioned this

#297273 - 19/04/2007 12:52 Re: Where to download upgclient [Re: touchstone]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:
I'm trying to replace the primary drive in an empeg (just purchased after ~7 years of waiting - yay).

My computers are all linux based. The instructions for applying the disk builder and player software upgrades from a Linux host reference an "upgclient" program, which appears to be part of a tarball called car-empeg-2.0.tgz (or something similar) which used to be on the empeg site. I haven't been able to find either the file or package available for download. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

The upgclient program is part of the empegcar-v2.00.i386-linux.tar.gz file.

I don't know if it works or not -- it never did for me, but I haven't tried it in the past five years.

#297274 - 19/04/2007 13:33 Re: Where to download upgclient [Re: touchstone]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Another option, since you only need to do the disk builder procedure once, is to do all the upgrading stuff on a friend's Windows PC.

#297275 - 19/04/2007 13:46 Re: Where to download upgclient [Re: tfabris]
LittleBlueThing
addict

Ah, but friends don't let friends....

Let's see if touchstone runs Debian or Ubuntu then

#297276 - 20/04/2007 20:53 Re: Where to download upgclient [Re: LittleBlueThing]
touchstone
new poster

Thanks all for your help. What a great introduction to the community. Upgclient is apparently not going to cut it under Suse 10.1-- it croaks after finding the unit, as documented elsewhere, and no fiddling w/ the TTY settings seems to help. It appears to be time to dig out Old Flakey the spare laptop and try to find a win98 (shudder) CD.

Before my first post, I spent Tuesday evening trying to use upgrader to install disk builder. Mark's post above caused me to question why I was able to ping the empeg even after a kernel panic. Answer: DNS conflict. FYI, upgrader will not successfully install bigdisk builder onto a Snom 300 VOIP phone.

#297277 - 20/04/2007 20:55 Re: Where to download upgclient [Re: touchstone]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Answer: DNS conflict. FYI, upgrader will not successfully install bigdisk builder onto a Snom 300 VOIP phone.

ROFL

#297278 - 22/04/2007 15:47 Re: Where to download upgclient [Re: tfabris]
touchstone
new poster

Old Flakey the laptop turned out to be too flakey to put win98 on. Or maybe it was a sign.

If anyone's interested, the solution I finally reached to configure a replacement empeg drive was:
  1. put the old drive back in
  2. install a developer 3.0-a11 player image using upgrader
  3. add the new drive as the IDE slave hdc
  4. connect to the empeg via the serial port using minicom
  5. manually partition and format the new drive (including mounting the music partition, hdc4, and creating the fids and var directories as specified in the formatting guide)
  6. transfer the root partition containing the player image to the new drive: dd if=/dev/hda5 of=/dev/hdc5
  7. remove the old drive and set the new one as IDE master
  8. reboot

It came up with an empty database and jempeg created a config.ini file. It's now been synchronizing happily for about 24 hours. Hopefully 3.0a11 turns out to be relatively stable. I started work on a bash script to create a duplicate music tree which will symlink mp3s and convert oggs, but I'd rather not.