Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#281599 - 17/05/2006 01:44 Thinking about selling - buy why does everybody ask for the serial?
brianboru
new poster

Was hoping someone would clue me in on something... I've had a rio/empeg for a while, but finally am getting around to selling it. Unfortunately, I really didn't ever get around to installing it or using it much, so my loss I guess

Anyway, I'm trying to do some research to make sure I know what I'm selling, as I am aware there are/were several different models. One thing that seemed a bit odd was that a bunch of the auctions on ebay make it seem like the serial number is important somehow. I followed a link to this and the riocar.org site and so far have only found that it shows the manufacture date of the unit. But people on the for sale board here are asking for the s/n as well...

Is one batch of serial numbers better than another for upgrading or something? Is there something else I'm missing?

Thanks!

#281600 - 17/05/2006 02:13 Re: Thinking about selling - buy why does everybody ask for the serial [Re: brianboru]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
People want to make sure that:

1. The player is real. Sometimes just asking for a serial number can scare fake sellers away.
2. The player is not stolen. You can search the message boards here for "stolen" threads by serial number, or check the Empeg Registry for potential stolens.

#281601 - 17/05/2006 03:01 Re: Thinking about selling - buy why does everybody ask for the serial [Re: cushman]
brianboru
new poster

Now that makes total sense... thanks for clearing that up. I thought there was something bigger I was missing.

On that note, what's a reasonable price to ask for my unit? According to what I've been able to find out, it's a mk2a, and it has IIRC, a 12gb hard drive in it (they ran out of 10s when I bought it I think). I bought it during the "going out of business" sale they had a few years back and still have the original box and all contents, including a second wiring harness (the first one was loose).

I'll pull the s/n and post it on the FS board, but was also thinking about ebay. Prices seem all over the board.

#281602 - 17/05/2006 08:17 Re: Thinking about selling - buy why does everybody ask for the serial [Re: brianboru]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

Price always varies on the demand. There have been a few players offered for sale recently, but not as many new buyers. This will always drive the price down.

Personally, I think the disk size really does not matter that much when selling (unless you have something extreme). Most buyers can / will replace the smaller 10/12GB drive with something larger if they want to.

The fact that you have the original box, great condition, firesale, etc. is a good selling point. I would guess that the empeg in that condition would go for around $300-350. At least, this is the number I remember (off hand, without looking up previous sales).

The extra wiring harness (I assume you are talking about a full sled, and not just the wire loom) is probably worth about $100-150 additionally. This might be easier to sell individually, but that is your call.

I hope that helps.

#281603 - 20/05/2006 18:42 Re: Thinking about selling - buy why does everybody ask for the serial? [Re: brianboru]
brianboru
new poster

Thanks for the feedback!

Actually though I was just talking about the loom. The original shipment had a few wires loose, and so I asked for a replacement and they sent me out a new one. Pretty quick too if I remember right!

#281604 - 11/02/2007 04:28 Re: Thinking about selling - buy why does everybody ask for the serial? [Re: brianboru]
brianboru
new poster

Finally got around to listing this for anyone who is interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150090799026