Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#26803 - 16/02/2001 04:01 Question to VR / mic
teemcbee
addict

I've ordered the (quite expensive - not really 110 $ but about 60$) Adapter for my Peugeot's steering wheel stick to Sony-Radio with RM X4S connect and already built the converter from Sony RM X4S to empeg's serial.
So I'll have to remove the docking-sled again and install both adapters.
As I've the docking-sled already removed I'd like to preinstall the mic, too.

So here's my question (questions..):
Are there any news about the VR-software? Have you tested it already with some mics? Will it be possible to use any mic you'd want or will you just be able to use some specific mics? Does the mic-input have a pre-amp or do we have to use amplified mics?

Is there maybe any timeframe for the VR-software? It's already been a long time since got some information about any release date.
Of course VR is not that important. But initialy it was one of the cool features I was looking for when ordering the Mk2 so I'd be very glad to have it already installed...

As I am at asking about status... I think I'm not the only one interested in a status about VR and also V1.1 and tuner module - anything new?
Maybe it'd be easier for us to wait if we knew some timeframe - then we'd know when we could count with those features...
Cheers,

TeeMcBee
Got my Mk2! # 080000143

#26804 - 16/02/2001 10:08 Re: Question to VR / mic [Re: teemcbee]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
You don't need to make a decision on the Mic right away, you could simply extend the cabling up to the driver's side sun-visor while you had the dash open.

As I understand it, the VR software will work with any mic, but will work better with certain mics. There's one particular company that specializes in mics for in-car VR applications. These mics are little arrays that mount on the visor and have built-in noise cancellation. They're not cheap, but they work the best. Anyone have the link to their web page?

#26805 - 16/02/2001 10:41 Re: Question to VR / mic [Re: tfabris]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
Here's one that you posted a while back...

http://www.andreaelectronics.com/

|| loren.cox || 080000446 ||

#26806 - 18/02/2001 23:04 Re: Question to VR / mic [Re: loren]
teemcbee
addict

Thanks, I knew the mic-array before. But I don't on the one side I don't want to spend too much money on the mic (I have 2 mics at home) and on the other side it's too large. I don't like to set a screw somewhere in my dash. I prefer the way to place a tiny mic somewhere in the roof's section..

TeeMcBee
Got my Mk2! # 080000143

#26807 - 18/02/2001 23:40 Re: Question to VR / mic [Re: teemcbee]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I don't want to spend too much money on the mic (I have 2 mics at home)

Okay, that's valid. Those array mics aren't cheap. But remember that your mics at home aren't necessarily the best thing for voice recognition. In a car, there's all sorts of noise, so just any-old-mic won't do. For best results you need a noise-canceling mic.

Now it's possible that the voice recognition will still work even with the mics you already have. But it probably wouldn't work as well as it would with the array mic.

There's no reason to shell out the money for an array mic right now, since the VR software doesn't even exist yet. When the software comes out, try your mics first and see how they work. If they seem to work OK when it's quiet, but don't work well when the car is running, then you probably would want the noise-canceling array mic.

and on the other side it's too large.

Did you understand that the array mic mounts on edge of the car's sun visor? It doesn't stick out or anything, it fits on the visor and is meant to be unobtrusive.

I don't like to set a screw somewhere in my dash.

The array mic doesn't go in the dash...

I prefer the way to place a tiny mic somewhere in the roof's section.

Or better yet, in the sun visor so it's closer to you.

But remember that a "tiny mic" probably isn't the best thing for voice recognition.

#26808 - 18/02/2001 23:55 Re: Question to VR / mic [Re: tfabris]
teemcbee
addict

In a car, there's all sorts of noise, so just any-old-mic won't do. For best results you need a noise-canceling mic.

One mic is from a headset, the other from a handsfree-set for incar-use. I don't really know if it is a noise-canceling mic. But I guess that noise-canceling has not really something to do with the mic itself but with the way it is mounted (does it get the car-vibrations or not)

The sun-visor is a thing to have a thought about...

If you're able to calibrate the mic via the empeg I think it should be possible to get a quite good result.

TeeMcBee
Got my Mk2! # 080000143