Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#266229 - 29/09/2005 04:10 Empeg Mk2a Button question
The Central Guy
enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, California USA
I've done some FAQ searching, but haven't found anything addressing this question or issue. Probably because the topic is about the "buttons" on the Empeg, and the search is so generic...

So here goes...

I have a Mk2a running 2.0 and the latest version of HiJack. I've had this problem pretty much ever since I bought the unit a year or so ago...

Let's say a song has been playing, and I haven't touched the front panel buttons for awhile. But I want to skip to the next song, so I push the "right" button. Most times, nothing happens the first time I push the button and I have to push it a second time for the command to work.

However, if I've pushed the button recently, perhaps to advance the song as described above, and I want to advance a second time to the next song right away, the right button will then work fine when I press it.

It's fairly repeatable...Ordinarily, I'd suspect something about the button contacts, but since it doesn't work at first and usually always works after the first try for awhile, it doesn't seem like that would be the behavior of a mechanical device.

The other 3 buttons seem to also act this way, but I have to admit that I haven't paid as much attention since I'm usually interested in moving to the next song more than anything...I do distinctly remember that the top button "pause" function is also similiar...

So, has anyone seen this type of behavior and have any suggestions about how I might fix it?

Thanks, Randy

#266230 - 29/09/2005 08:56 Re: Empeg Mk2a Button question [Re: The Central Guy]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
This is a nice easy one - you have sticking buttons. It's not software.

The four buttons can stick quite easily, either because of crud between the buttons and the holes in the fascia, or because the fascia has at some point been screwed down too hard in the past.

The remedy is to remove the fascia using the correct size allen key. Carefully clean out the apertures in the fascia with a cotton wool swab and alcohol. Check that your buttons are also clean, and free of swarf. The original buttons were well manufactured with no flash or swarf. I have also taken to gently filing the inside of the bottom button aperture of the fascia with a triangular diamond jeweller's file to improve the fit of the button in the fascia. Do this slowly and carefully, trying the button in the aperture regularly. Don't go too far! (don't worry if you do - I have loads of fascias available).

When you replace the panel, make sure that you fit the top (round) button onto the switch with the correct orientation. It's possible to fit the button 90 degrees off so that it stands slightly proud and remains "pressed" when you replace the fascia.

Check that the lense sits correctly inside the fascia aperture as you put the fascia back on: then tighten the screws 'till "finger tight". You only need to tighten them about 1/6th of a turn further - DON'T be tempted to grind them in.

Test the physical operation of the buttons before you power on, and check that they all click distinctly when pressed, as well as when they are released. If they are "already pressed" or don't release properly, unscrew the two panel screws nearest the buttons by about a quarter turn and re-try.

If this doesn't sort it out, post again.
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#266231 - 29/09/2005 13:45 Re: Empeg Mk2a Button question [Re: schofiel]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
To enhance what Rob just said, you can verify 100 percent and prove to yourself that this is the problem by trying to reproduce it while the fascia and button caps are off. You said that you could reproduce it reliably, so remove the fascia/buttons and try it by pressing directly on the switches themselves.

And by the way, the correct size Allen key is 2.5mm IIRC.

#266232 - 01/10/2005 05:03 Re: Empeg Mk2a Button question [Re: schofiel]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Quote:
swarf

swarf? Is this a regional word?

#266233 - 01/10/2005 05:49 Re: Empeg Mk2a Button question [Re: canuckInOR]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Naw, technical term.

#266234 - 03/10/2005 00:27 Re: Empeg Mk2a Button question [Re: schofiel]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Exactly. If the fascia is too tight, the fascia's slightly beveled button holes will lock the button down in place. Once the buttons and fascia are clean (and the lens is not hitting the buttons), unscrewing the left top and left bottom fascia screws by a quarter to half turn should do it.

#266235 - 03/10/2005 14:02 Re: Empeg Mk2a Button question [Re: canuckInOR]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
Quote:
Quote:
swarf

swarf? Is this a regional word?

Actually, swarf is the material removed during machining.
But I'm having a tough time googling an easy reference for 'casting flash'.
Happy Monday!

#266236 - 03/10/2005 20:22 Re: Empeg Mk2a Button question [Re: schofiel]
The Central Guy
enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, California USA
Thanks very much for your advice....I haven't had a chance to break down the unit and check it out yet. I did receive an order from Mouser with new Rotary encoders for my two units, so I'll probably do this on a Saturday when I have a few hours to devote to it....

Thanks, Randy