Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#260534 - 15/07/2005 13:35 Sign me up for one of these next-gen keyboards
Cybjorg
addict

Loc: Winston Salem, NC
Ultra sweet. I can think of a dozen uses for this baby.

#260535 - 15/07/2005 13:43 Re: Sign me up for one of these next-gen keyboards [Re: Cybjorg]
tman
carpal tunnel

It's a render isn't it?

You can actually buy little keys with a LCD inside but they're not designed for use as a keyboard. More as an addition to a real keyboard.

#260536 - 15/07/2005 15:11 Re: Sign me up for one of these next-gen keyboards [Re: Cybjorg]
visuvius
addict

Yup, you pretty much summed it up with "Ultra Sweet". The gaming mode looked awesome.

#260537 - 15/07/2005 15:18 Re: Sign me up for one of these next-gen keyboards [Re: visuvius]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I want to be able to program it to shift the keys around randomly - confuse the "hunt and peck" crowd... <evil grin>

#260538 - 15/07/2005 15:50 Re: Sign me up for one of these next-gen keyboards [Re: tman]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
We use a similar button for multifunction panels, but it's certainly not as fancy as that. They have a pretty good action and if you know what you're doing you can navigate through quite quickly.

Andy M

#260539 - 15/07/2005 16:08 Re: Sign me up for one of these next-gen keyboards [Re: Cybjorg]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
The geek in me is saying "I must have this". The practical side of me is saying "ummm, you don't look at the keybaord anyway . . ."

#260540 - 15/07/2005 18:45 Re: Sign me up for one of these next-gen keyboards [Re: visuvius]
bbowman
enthusiast

Loc: Virginia, USA
Yes it is ultra-sweet, but does it go "Click" when you press a key like those old wonderful IBM keyboards did?
Still looking for a good way to install in a 2010 BMW 3 series with iDrive/NAV

#260541 - 15/07/2005 19:30 Re: Sign me up for one of these next-gen keyboards [Re: bbowman]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Quote:
but does it go "Click" when you press a key like those old wonderful IBM keyboards did?

I'm sure the next version will include sound generation with 50 different click profiles to choose from and speakers under the keys themselves so that the sound direction is accurate.

#260542 - 16/07/2005 02:03 Re: Sign me up for one of these next-gen keyboards [Re: Cybjorg]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
It would be cool if it was real and not photoshoped!

Let me know when the Battlefield 2 version comes out.

#260543 - 16/07/2005 03:08 Re: Sign me up for one of these next-gen keyboards [Re: JBjorgen]
peakmop
journeyman

Loc: 384400 km from the Moon
And don't forget about force feedback

#260544 - 16/07/2005 03:16 Re: Sign me up for one of these next-gen keyboards [Re: Cybjorg]
JeffS
carpal tunnel

Loc: Atlanta, GA
LOL- did you read the FAQ?

My favorite:
Quote:
There's no snow in Moscow during Summer

#260545 - 18/07/2005 15:13 Re: Sign me up for one of these next-gen keyboards [Re: Cybjorg]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
More info. I agree that this would be a sweet keyboard. I'm in the "damn ergonomics - I want a straight keyboard - bring on the CTS!" camp I recently looked at keyboards for my father's new computer, and it's incredible how bubbly they all are now. They used to all be rectangles, and now you have to get Logitech's TOTL to have that shape again. I don't know, it's just a little thing that's been bugging me.

It would also be nice to have special function keys that weren't permanently labeled. On my keyboard at home, my "Webcam" button launches the empeg board.

#260546 - 18/07/2005 15:22 Re: Sign me up for one of these next-gen keyboards [Re: Dignan]
SonicSnoop
addict

Loc: Triangle, VA
Quote:
PT: Will it be wireless, Bluetooth, or USB only?

AL: USB 2.0 for sure…FireWire - probably. Possibly it will have an external power supply. No need for Bluetooth.

I cant stand corded keyboards.. I have the bluetooth logitech one now, would so love one with those kinds of keys....
-D Modifying and Tweaking is a journey, not a destination................................ MKIIa : 60gig - 040103286 - Blue - v2 + PCATS tuner MKIIa : 20gig - 040103260 - Blue - v3a8 + Mark Lord Special Edition Cherry Dock

#260547 - 18/07/2005 15:39 Re: Sign me up for one of these next-gen keyboards [Re: Dignan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The review Dignan just linked says it's OLED.

Somebody please confirm something for me?

1. OLED suffers from burn-in, correct?

2. This keyboard would have the same characters displayed on the keys for the majority of the time, right?

#260548 - 18/07/2005 15:58 Re: Sign me up for one of these next-gen keyboards [Re: tfabris]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Quote:
2. This keyboard would have the same characters displayed on the keys for the majority of the time, right?

Unless you use Pauls evil key switching application.

Andy M

#260549 - 18/07/2005 16:26 Re: Sign me up for one of these next-gen keyboards [Re: andym]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
Quick- somebody come up with a 'keyboard saver'!
Flying toasters, anyone?

#260550 - 18/07/2005 17:26 Re: Sign me up for one of these next-gen keyboards [Re: JBjorgen]
TigerJimmy
old hand

Those wonderful IBM keyboards actually go "clack" IMHO!

They are the best keyboards on the planet, made by a company called Unicomp. They still make them, they even have one with an integrated mouse-stick -- you can buy one at pckeyboard.com, and I recommend it!

OTOH, this new thing does look Ultra Sweet, but I don't look at the keyboard either!

If its lit for night use, that would be cool.

J

#260551 - 18/07/2005 17:38 Re: Sign me up for one of these next-gen keyboards [Re: TigerJimmy]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Hardware localization on a per user basis.

Gives the phrase "click ads" a whole new meaning.

You could actually play "Whack a mole"

Then there would be the mini wall screen hack for showing your favorite [mumble] videos.

#260552 - 18/07/2005 19:09 Re: Sign me up for one of these next-gen keyboards [Re: SonicSnoop]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
Quote:
PT: Will it be wireless, Bluetooth, or USB only?

AL: USB 2.0 for sure…FireWire - probably. Possibly it will have an external power supply. No need for Bluetooth.

I cant stand corded keyboards.. I have the bluetooth logitech one now, would so love one with those kinds of keys....

Um...that would require some real power, wouldn't it? From what I've seen, many cordless keyboards don't even have LEDs on them, I only assumed to cut back on power. Maybe if you could build a power dock into a keyboard tray or something...

Could someone please, please explain to me the benefit of bluetooth over RF for keyboards and mice? After stepping away from the computer for a while (say 30 minutes), my girlfriend's bluetooth keyboard and mouse sometimes take a good 10 seconds to start talking to the computer, and always take at least one keypress or mouse click. Not only that, but It sounds like she has to replace batteries far more often than I do. I've had my keyboard for a couple years, and while I'm sure I may have replaced the batteries once in that time, it's been so long I don't even remember doing so. Even more important, in the 5 years I've owned cordless Logitech mice, after I've connected them to the receiver, I've never had them lose their connection.

So why bluetooth? Is it just to have the buzzword on the box?

#260553 - 18/07/2005 19:30 Re: Sign me up for one of these next-gen keyboards [Re: Cybjorg]
davekirk
journeyman

Loc: Las Vegas
No, it's not the same thing. But I don't think it's too far off topic to bring this device up for those who haven't seen one:

http://www.ergodex.com/mainpage.htm

Pretty cool. And it's not vapor(hard)ware. I have one. It works.

#260554 - 18/07/2005 19:50 Re: Sign me up for one of these next-gen keyboards [Re: Dignan]
SonicSnoop
addict

Loc: Triangle, VA
I dont know about anyone else, but I have had the regular wireless logitech mice/keyboard combos, I use them on my bed no desk for my pc. I had problems with reception. it would cut out some. with the bluetooth combo I have, I could turn away from the computer behind pillows/blankets type upside down and it would never loose connection (Not that I do).. I also have had no problems with batteries..mouse is rechargable (and have gone a week with out it on the charger with constant use) and the keyboard cant remmeber the last time I actually changed the batteries.. as for the delay its never been a problem for me. I just start typing and it will blurt it all out and chatch up to me the first time I start using it after its gone idle.It was kinda pricey when I got it, like 100 more then the regular but I wouldnt go back after it.
-D Modifying and Tweaking is a journey, not a destination................................ MKIIa : 60gig - 040103286 - Blue - v2 + PCATS tuner MKIIa : 20gig - 040103260 - Blue - v3a8 + Mark Lord Special Edition Cherry Dock

#260555 - 18/07/2005 20:04 Re: Sign me up for one of these next-gen keyboards [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Quote:
OLED suffers from burn-in

From the FAQ/Answers page:
Quote:
It will feature a key-saver

Does that help?

#260556 - 18/07/2005 21:43 Re: Sign me up for one of these next-gen keyboards [Re: Dignan]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Because dongles suck. While on a desktop it's not that much of an inconvenience, with a laptop they're a huge inconvenience... I won't buy anything wireless that isn't 802.11 or bluetooth.

Matthew

#260557 - 19/07/2005 01:35 Re: Sign me up for one of these next-gen keyboards [Re: Dignan]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Could someone please, please explain to me the benefit of bluetooth over RF for keyboards and mice?

I don't know a single laptop with integrated RF electronics to talk to a keyboard or mouse. However, bluetooth seems to be available as an internal option on nearly all laptops now. Being that my two daily use systems are now both laptops, this is very important to me. The less cables I need to plug in, the better. An RF keyboard/mouse for me would still mean a USB cable going to the laptop.

In my personal experience with Logitech RF trackballs, and now Logitech and Apple bluetooth devices, bluetooth has a much better range. The RF trackball started acting odd more then 6 feet away from the receiver, and that was with a fully charged battery. Bluetooth, I can place my gaming wintendo brick near my HDTV, and game with no range issues at 12 feet easially. The range is also not reduced due to low batteries, it either works or the batteries die.

The 4 AA batteries the DiNovo keyboard use have lasted me 4 months now under heavy use. The MX900 goes through the 2 AA batteries in a few days use, but they are NiMH, and rechargable without removing them in the included base. Bluetooth 1.2 helps a bit on battery use, and the newer 2.0 is an even bigger improvement, though I don't know of any 2.0 keyboards/mice out yet. My DiNovo package is 1.2.

Lag time as far as a response when the device is asleep seems to depend heavially on the computer. My Apple Keyboard and MX900 experience very little noticible delays when waking up, and the keyboards typing all gets sent when on the Powerbook. I do notice longer delays and usually one or two dropped keys on my Dell wintendo, but still nothing approaching 10 seconds.

Oh, one nice thing about the Logitech Bluetooth stuff that includes the bluetooth base. No software is needed at all to support the mice and keyboards. You simply attach the base to the USB or PS/2 port, proceed with the connect cycle all the RF products use, and it works in Windows, Linux or the BIOS. Loading the software allows the bluetooth hub to be used for other bluetooth devices, and to connect the keyboard and mouse is a more secure way using bluetooth encryption. The base station does this by acting like a USB hub with 3 devices attached, a USB HID Mouse, a USB HID keyboard, and a USB Bluetooth radio.

Oh, and the Apple bluetooth keyboard does have a caps-lock LED on the keyboard. And a feature I wish other devices had, an on/off switch.

#260558 - 19/07/2005 05:15 Re: Sign me up for one of these next-gen keyboards [Re: drakino]
David
addict

Loc: Cambridge
Quote:
The MX900 goes through the 2 AA batteries in a few days use, but they are NiMH, and rechargable without removing them in the included base.

I've been using an Apple bluetooth keyboard and mouse as the main input devices on my desktop mac for over a year and I got fed up with using rechargeable batteries. The keyboard lasted for a while, but the mouse was running out every three-five days. It wouldn't be such a problem if there was a dock to charge the mouse in.

I ended up deciding that I was better off using alkaline batteries (which last for a month in the mouse and four months in the keyboard), so I ordered 100 Duracell Procells from a discount battery store. I've worked out that it costs me roughly 10 UKP in batteries a year to run my keyboard and mouse, which is quite worrying.

#260559 - 19/07/2005 06:37 Re: Sign me up for one of these next-gen keyboards [Re: David]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
I ended up deciding that I was better off using alkaline batteries (which last for a month in the mouse and four months in the keyboard)

I've got a wired (Microsoft) keyboard, and a Logitech cordless mouse on my PC at work.

I've no idea what the USB dongle uses to talk to the mouse, but it's probably not Bluetooth -- the range is pretty poor: I have to plug it into the USB port on the keyboard, because it doesn't work too well through the desk.

However, I do get around 3 months use out of a pair of AA alkaline batteries...

#260560 - 20/07/2005 12:31 Re: Sign me up for one of these next-gen keyboards [Re: Dignan]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Quote:
More info. I agree that this would be a sweet keyboard. I'm in the "damn ergonomics - I want a straight keyboard - bring on the CTS!" camp

I use to think that way also, until my wrists went to hell Now I can't live without my Contour. I have a ZBoard with a couple overlays that I never got plugged in because I can't give up my keyboard.

I have no idea how people can use the Microsoft Ergo keyboards though, they look like they bend the wrist in the wrong direction.

#260561 - 20/07/2005 13:11 Re: Sign me up for one of these next-gen keyboards [Re: Tim]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Quote:

I use to think that way also, until my wrists went to hell Now I can't live without my Contour.

$289 for the UK model !

...and I thought my clicky "IBM" Unicomp keyboard was expensive

#260562 - 20/07/2005 13:54 Re: Sign me up for one of these next-gen keyboards [Re: andy]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Quote:
$289 for the UK model !

...and I thought my clicky "IBM" Unicomp keyboard was expensive

Yeah, they are pricey (stuck with the Classic), but worth every penny (pound?). Only problem is remapping all the keys for new games (like BF2) to try to keep as many as possible in the left well.

#260563 - 21/07/2005 04:10 Re: Sign me up for one of these next-gen keyboards [Re: pgrzelak]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
My keys are already labelled incorrectly. One of the benefits of touch-typing dvorak on a qwerty keyboard.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >