Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#259045 - 27/06/2005 07:25 Valuation. Faulty Empeg and Accessories
LTJBukem
enthusiast

Hi All,

After a little bit of advice please, after my empeg woes last week.

I'm considering cutting my losses and selling up and finding an alternative solution to providing mp3's in the home and car.

So in the bundle i would be selling my empeg and the accessories.

The Empeg is a Mk2a, with 20gb and 30gb Fujitsu drives in it (50gb total). It is working but needs some TLC to make it perfect.
It needs a new Rotary Encoder. The IDE Header I think is slightly faulty as now and again i get No Hard Disk Found. One or two reboots normally cures this. The display has gone dim, which according to the FAQ is a blown fuse, though i'm personally no expert and haven't the ability to check. You can still read the display if you are close to the machine.

I have the following accessories:
- Car Sled - Used. This is mounted in a self contained box inside my glove box and i will remove it as such to reduce damage to the sled.
- Home Dock - courtesy of MLord. Painted black by myself, so its diy style rather than the professional piano back finish i've seen elsewhere. Just setting expecations ....
- Remote Control. I will replace the battery for you.
- 6 Lenses. One has a broken corner but works fine.
- Empeg Box. Ok it's not an accessory but i do have it.

I would be prepared to ship worldwide should i decide to sell.

So my question is what sort of value could i expect for this bundle be it in US Dollars, £££'s or Euros.

Many Thanks

#259046 - 27/06/2005 11:11 Re: Valuation. Faulty Empeg and Accessories [Re: LTJBukem]
Phoenix42
veteran

Loc: MA but Irish born
Quote:
Works great as a networked server too !

Might want to up date you sig then

#259047 - 27/06/2005 11:17 Re: Valuation. Faulty Empeg and Accessories [Re: Phoenix42]
LTJBukem
enthusiast

Quote:
Quote:
Works great as a networked server too !

Might want to up date you sig then

It did, does and will do. No problems with it there.

#259048 - 27/06/2005 13:18 Re: Valuation. Faulty Empeg and Accessories [Re: LTJBukem]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
You could just mail me your player, and I'll fix it all up better than new. Cost would be about $100 or so for the repairs, new IDE cable, and return postage.

I'll fix it when I have time. Casual like.

Cheers

#259049 - 27/06/2005 14:18 Re: Valuation. Faulty Empeg and Accessories [Re: mlord]
LTJBukem
enthusiast

Fixing it may be an option, though it does need parts, and i would be better off shipping to Europe to be honest. Thanks for the offer

I'm just trying to gauge its worth in its present state, if anyone would have any idea ?

#259050 - 27/06/2005 14:52 Re: Valuation. Faulty Empeg and Accessories [Re: LTJBukem]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Sure. What parts does it need beyond the encoder (in stock here) and the drive cable (in stock here) ? [EDIT: and fuse, in stock here]

Cheers

Edited by mlord (27/06/2005 15:21)

#259051 - 27/06/2005 14:53 Re: Valuation. Faulty Empeg and Accessories [Re: LTJBukem]
eliceo
enthusiast

Lately empegs have been going for around 350 USD add another 150 for the mlord dock. Maybe 500 plus shipping. The specific issues with your player may bring the price down a bit and also that the dock is already painted. Just a guess though.

#259052 - 27/06/2005 15:01 Re: Valuation. Faulty Empeg and Accessories [Re: LTJBukem]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
I am surprised that you are prepared to sell. Are you selling on the basis of my response to you the other day regarding costs? If so, why? The total cost of your repairs is unlikely to be more than about E60-100 (about 60 quid max) including UK postage, unless your dim display is a knackered VFD in which case you are in trouble. A "dim display" could be any one of about 4 conditions, not necessarily just a blown fuse - hence my comment, I have no idea what it is until I check it out. Since you have not provided an explicit description other than "it's a bit dim", that leaves a lot open!

I hope you will re-consider as there is no other functional equivalent available, and any new in-car solution is going to be more than what you can realise in the sale of this device. Additionally, we would be losing (yet) another BBS community member, something we can ill afford!

Contact me on carsupport@xs4all.nl if you wish to discuss things in more detail.
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#259053 - 27/06/2005 20:53 Re: Valuation. Faulty Empeg and Accessories [Re: schofiel]
LTJBukem
enthusiast

Hi all,

Thanks for the information and comments.

I was just doing some investigation really into what my options were and had considered cutting my losses. That said resale values have dropped conserably recently and the empeg is definately worth more to me than any potential financial gain at this point.

So for now i'm sticking around

For the car I was considering an Ipod solution as i already have a compatiible head unit that can control the ipod through an interface. Not as good at the empeg but i do less miles now and have an MP3 CD player which serves me fine for short drives.

I use the empeg more at home really and for that it has been really useful both straight into my hifi and as a networked server to my computer(s),

I've kind of reached a cross roads in that empeg needs expanding by another 50gb. The faults occuring with it made me waver for a while

Rob, I will contact you after the meet, when you are less busy and then presumably I need to queue with the others to get a repair done ?

Many thanks again to everyone.

Edit : and the wife thinks it's a good idea to get it repaired too, so decision made.

Edited by LTJBukem (27/06/2005 20:56)

#259054 - 27/06/2005 21:05 Re: Valuation. Faulty Empeg and Accessories [Re: LTJBukem]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Quote:
Edit : and the wife thinks it's a good idea to get it repaired too, so decision made.

Nice one, I'm sure you won't regret your decision.

Andy M

#259055 - 27/06/2005 23:20 Re: Valuation. Faulty Empeg and Accessories [Re: LTJBukem]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Quote:
an MP3 CD player which serves me fine for short drives

I'm not attacking you, but I've never understood that attitude amongst the ex-empeggers. It's not that you've got hundreds of hours of music. It's that you've got an unlimited selection of your music. That is, if you head off with your mp3 CDs, you're still screwed if you want to listen to something you don't have with you, which is a situation that people with an empeg don't have.

So, what I'm getting at is, how does an MP3 CD player server you for short drives?

#259056 - 28/06/2005 01:23 Re: Valuation. Faulty Empeg and Accessories [Re: wfaulk]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Quote:
how does an MP3 CD player server you

I take the "beggers can't be choosers route" and accept decreased functionality for the short time I'm using it. Make a few decent mix MP3 CDs (one for each mood) and just let them play on random or straight through. That's what my trusty Rio Volt does when I travel.

Wow, totally should have a Karma by now.

#259057 - 28/06/2005 13:04 Re: Valuation. Faulty Empeg and Accessories [Re: wfaulk]
eliceo
enthusiast

CDs have always done bad in my car because I don't take care of them, they get all scratched up or lost.

I have used my karma for a year+ in my current car. It is a functional alternative to the empeg, but next to having the empeg in dash it sucks. I am in the middle of my install right now and can't wait for everything to be done.

#259058 - 28/06/2005 15:45 Re: Valuation. Faulty Empeg and Accessories [Re: wfaulk]
LTJBukem
enthusiast

Quote:

So, what I'm getting at is, how does an MP3 CD player server you for short drives?

As the other chap said, i've just got a few favorite CD's that i eventually lose / damage or get bored of. Then i can make some more using the music from the empeg (or my server).
Work is about 25 minutes away which is 5 or 6 songs, so it's not like i drive for hours. I don't got to the office every day any how as I can work from home, with the empeg for company.

When i get the empeg repaired i may use it in the car more often. Heck looking at the prices of them at the moment, i may even buy another one for a different room of the house.