Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#24865 - 15/01/2001 13:44 Empeg Setup for VW Jetta w/monsoon + new HU
Tofudebeest
new poster

I've got a 2001 VW Jetta GLS VR6 with the Monsoon system and the VW 6 CD changer in the trunk. My plan is to get a 12gb empeg and a new head unit, and sell my monsoon HU and the changer. With the new head unit I can play cds (for example if someone gives me one to listen to) and I'll be able to use the radio, since the empeg's tuner isn't out, right? I was looking at the Blaupunkt Heidelberg or Santa Monica (because I want to get something to match the VW's lights) for the head unit ($280 or $180, i think).

I plan on feeding the empeg into the HU, so I can use the HU's wheel-mounted remote for as much as possible. Alternatively, is there a wheel-mounted remote available that works with the empeg?

Would this setup work well? I'm not a big audiophile (I haven't been spoiled by hearing any great car audio setups, I guess), so I'm not planning on upgrading the speakers or amps if it's not necessary - I've got plenty more upgrades for my car planned, more than my wallet can support. Any suggestions on what I should do and which head unit I should choose?

thanks

#24866 - 17/01/2001 00:17 Re: Empeg Setup for VW Jetta w/monsoon + new HU [Re: Tofudebeest]
Tofudebeest
new poster

any comments?

#24867 - 17/01/2001 05:14 Re: Empeg Setup for VW Jetta w/monsoon + new HU [Re: Tofudebeest]
jstrain
enthusiast

Loc: philadelphia pa
i have a 2000 miata with the nicer factory sound system. i ditched the existing head unit (radio / tape player in one din slot and cd player in the other din slot) and replaced it with the empeg on top and a nice pioneer which acts as the amp. no amps, no subs, no really nice speakers, etc. i'm sure it dosen't sound nearly as nice as others, but it sounds fine to me. i think you should be fine with what you are looking at.

jeremy

12 gig, green...

#24868 - 17/01/2001 05:50 Re: Empeg Setup for VW Jetta w/monsoon + new HU [Re: Tofudebeest]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
The Monsoon system is already a Blaupunkt.

There was a discussion on the Installs forum which covered the issue of using the empeg with a factory head in a Jetta, including installation issues.

The Kenwood steering remote (KCA-600) works with the empeg (I use it).

As to quality of sound - well, you gets what you pays for; I took the line that I just wanted to hear music initially, and then started spending money at a later date buying extra speakers, ext. amps, etc.

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#24869 - 21/01/2001 03:35 Re: Empeg Setup for VW Jetta w/monsoon + new HU [Re: schofiel]
rockstar
enthusiast

actually it is a panasonic :) , the stock deck in the jetta, i know, i have a gti :)

#24870 - 11/02/2001 19:59 Re: Empeg Setup for VW Jetta w/monsoon + new HU [Re: rockstar]
Tofudebeest
new poster

Yup, it is indeed a Panasonic. This is the same rockstar from the vortex, right? How many GTI-driving people going by the name of 'rockstar' can there be, anyways?

#24871 - 11/02/2001 22:25 Re: Empeg Setup for VW Jetta w/monsoon + new HU [Re: Tofudebeest]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Welcome! I think your plan is fine. I only had a 1 DIN slot in my van so the options of another head unit was out, but I would have replaced the factory system eventually anyway (it really sucked).

A couple of comments (it's what you asked for):
1) I plan on feeding the empeg into the HU, so I can use the HU's wheel-mounted remote for as much as possible.
I may be unclear as to what you mean by this, but it doesn't matter how the empeg is connected when it comes to using the remote with your other head unit. The issues of how you run the empeg are whether you use the other unit as an amp, or which unit gets primary use. You have to get an external amp if the other HU is going through the AUX inputs of the empeg. Alternatively, you have to make sure the HU you're buying has AUX inputs (but I don't know about this, I've never replaced a HU before the empeg).

2) on other upgrades, it's really your choice. I already mentioned the external amp. An amp is also good for getting excellent sound from your system. Every system I've heard that has an external amp is much better than those without.
Likewise, a subwoofer adds alot to the experience. I don't know if your factory system came with one or not, but I can't imagine living without mine. I strongly suggest it.

Good luck and welcome to the board!

DiGNAN

#24872 - 14/02/2001 16:52 Re: Empeg Setup for VW Jetta w/monsoon + new HU [Re: Tofudebeest]
rockstar
enthusiast

yup that's me, but no more gti, m3 now.

still on vortex tho :)

#24873 - 14/02/2001 17:12 Re: Empeg Setup for VW Jetta w/monsoon + new HU [Re: rockstar]
Tofudebeest
new poster

Right, I remember that...
Hope you're enjoying the new ride!

#24874 - 17/02/2001 04:07 Re: Empeg Setup for VW Jetta w/monsoon + new HU [Re: Tofudebeest]
rockstar
enthusiast

yes indeed, tackling the stereo tomorrow.