Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#22881 - 22/11/2000 11:45 A totally en-empeg related favour please
debauch
enthusiast

Loc: West Midlands, England
I need a favour please. Pretty please. Pretty please with sugar on. etc. etc.

I've been reading about the CueCat bar code reader available FOC in Radio Shacks in the states. To put it bluntly, I'd like a couple.

So, if there are any Americans out there in a kind and generous mood and who fancy grabbing a couple and posting them to a Brit in Switzerland, I'd be very grateful.

Obviously I'd pay you for your trouble and the cost of the postage. PayPal now do international accounts, so that'd be the easiest way to do it.

Replies in this thread, private message or mail me at nick@debau.ch.

Thanks.

Nick.

--
18Gb blue - s/n 080000299 (original queue position 8724)

#22882 - 22/11/2000 12:18 Re: A totally en-empeg related favour please [Re: debauch]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
You're kidding, right?

Those things are so ugly and so completely utterly useless that I don't know how their company can even think they were marketable in the first place. An oversized, ugly bar code scanner whose only purpose is to read a bar-coded URL from a catalog page and then jump to that page... I just don't get it. The only catalogs that are coded to use it are the Ratshack catalogs, and there's no possible reason anyone would want to buy anything from them, let alone add another bulky peripheral to their desk to help surf the Ratshack web site.

Unless, of course, you're planning on hacking it for your own purposes, in which case, more power to ya. I haven't got one to mail, though. Won't touch 'em.

#22883 - 22/11/2000 12:27 Re: A totally en-empeg related favour please [Re: tfabris]
debauch
enthusiast

Loc: West Midlands, England

In reply to:

You're kidding, right?

No.

In reply to:

Unless, of course, you're planning on hacking it for your own purposes

Moi? Would I?

So, yes, I'd like a couple of the scanners, but the software can just go straight in the bin.

Nick.

--
18Gb blue - s/n 080000299 (original queue position 8724)

#22884 - 22/11/2000 13:15 Re: A totally en-empeg related favour please [Re: tfabris]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Linux drivers were knocked up for these devices months ago. If you can live with the stupid styling (or remove it!) you get a free barcode scanner.

In practice, I've yet to find a Radio Shack with any in stock. The Slashdot geeks got them all!

Rob

#22885 - 22/11/2000 15:00 Re: A totally en-empeg related favour please [Re: rob]
jwtadmin
enthusiast

Loc: Ipswich, MA
I already dissected mine ;) Subscribers to WIRED were sent one.(wich carried bar coded ads)
It was interesting for about 5 min then it became part of my useless electronics sculpture.

To be honest the bar-code reader was fairly weak. It took several passes to read even a simple UPC code.
The software was actually able to decipher and take me to most products manufacturers web sites. Kinda interesting to see just who makes what!

John

#22886 - 25/11/2000 21:34 Re: A totally en-empeg related favour please [Re: jwtadmin]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Hehe, you might find this amusing. If you've seen a picture floating around the web of a guy with a "portable computer system" (plywood with monitor, keyboard, and speakers attached), this is by the same guy.

http://www.geocities.com/hofmonstr.rm

DiGNAN