Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#225866 - 06/07/2004 02:52 XP runs CHKDISK on D: on every boot - help...
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
XP Pro, SP1. All MS patches currently applied.

This "problem" started about a week ago. Having shut down the computer properly, as always, the next time I booted I was greeted with the XP chkdsk screen. I was a little puzzled but thought it would run its course and that would be that. Not so.

Each and every time I boot it does the same 3-part chkdsk on my D drive (which is a 140MB logical partition of a 160GB drive - the rest of the drive is my boot partition and I have an additional drive, E: of 120GB). Drive D is also my application drive and a number of tools launch from it at boot time.

No problems are ever found during the chkdsk and after booting into XP everything seems to be running as smoothly as it should. If I try to do a defrag (even analyse) on drive D, it tells me that a chkdsk is "scheduled" and that it can't perform the defrag. So there's someplace on my system that seems to have a perpetual scheduled chkdsk event for that drive. A chkdsk with repair can only be performed on the D drive at startup because it normally has files in use as mentioned above.

Anyone know how I can get to the bottom of this problem and stop this constant disk checking? My computer normally takes only a few seconds to start up, so this is getting really annoying.

Bruno

#225867 - 06/07/2004 05:41 Re: XP runs CHKDISK on D: on every boot - help... [Re: hybrid8]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/WinXP/Q_20994649.html

(scroll down past the adverts for the actual answers)

#225868 - 07/07/2004 19:55 Re: XP runs CHKDISK on D: on every boot - help... [Re: Roger]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Thanks for the link Roger. I managed to fix the problem just before seeing your reply by unounting the drive in Windows, running chkdisk, remounting (the /f option did this by itself) and then defragmenting the drive.

Checking the event log showed that there were indeed two security descriptors being repaired on every bootup. The pisser is that it was the same very two each and every time. No idea why.

Bruno