Just spent most of today trying to get client mode between 2 DWL-900AP+s to work with the RR (Rebadged Dell running 1.04). I could get the APs to talk to each other verified by the fact that I could ping each device. When I bring the RR up it appeared to do a 'soft lock'. The remote could not control the RR but the power button worked. I did have a crossover between the RR and the client mode WAP. I had the RR plugged into the uplink port on a hub and the client mode WAP was plugged into one of the other ports on the hub. Nothing seemed to allow the RR to find the server. It eventually would time out and get the 169.254.230.22 IP.

My configuration is; a NetGear (RT314) router connected to the cable modem. One of the WAPs is connected to a port on the RT314. The 314 provides DHCP to the devices on the net except for the 2 WAPS. They have static IPs. The one connected directly to the router was in AP mode and the MAC address filtering was set to allow both the PDA and the other WAP to connect. The WAP attached to the RR through a small 5 port hub was in client mode. I had the ENet side MAC address of the AP WAP set in the MAC add field in the client's config page.

Everything seemed to be right but as soon as the RR started looking for the server the client WAP would lockup. If I disconnected the LAN cable from it then I could ping it again. I would then have to pull the power cable out of the RR and replug to get it to let go of the client WAP.

I did some searching here and in Google Groups. Seems lotsa people got the config to work in bridge mode (although some did get it to work in client mode). I finally got some satisfaction out of bridging the 2 WAPS. Anything to get it to work. I'm still trying to dig around and find out why it won't work in client mode to the RR.

One of the WAPS is one I got last year and it is a Class A and the other is a Class C. The different classes relate to what processor is used. I downloaded the latest firmware for each and flashed them.

If anyone has done this same configuration I would be interested in what the secret is to getting client mode to work with the RR. Looks like my next task is getting JReceiver/tRio loaded now so I can do Shoutcast streams. My little Dell Axim PDA handled those just fine. Surely I can get the RR to do it. It just seems rather convoluted the process and incantations that have to be done to get the RR to do what a little PDA is capable of doing.

Anyway, after a long day, I finally have a measure of success. But, I need to be able to get to client mode so I can still connect to the wireless network with my trusty little Axim for IM and wireless surfing from the backyard. I love this stuff!

Thanks
Mike