Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#221417 - 27/04/2002 07:41 The limit strikes again
nightingales

Loc: GA/USA
OK, I have too many files obviously. With about 7000 files, selecting "titles" on the RIO leads to all kinda of errors - reset of menu, or time-out with server, up to the infamous 22 error. Any fix yet? What IS the limit?
After the 22 error I had a hard time getting Rio and PC to talk to each other again...

#221418 - 27/04/2002 09:21 Re: The limit strikes again [Re: nightingales]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
The current work around is to create playlists and make small subsets of your collection out of the playlists instead of trying to select the whole thing from the player's front panel.

Question to all: Is the limit in the server software or in the client machine? Do any of the third-party server solutions such as JReceiver have the problem?

#221419 - 27/04/2002 13:21 Re: The limit strikes again [Re: tfabris]
reedesau

> Do any of the third-party server
> solutions such as JReceiver have the problem?

I'm not sure about the other alternative server software, but jrec shouldn't have any indexing limits other than those imposed by the MySQL database on which it relies.

Though I haven't queried my userbase, I'd venture (conservatively) that some are indexing in excess of 20K tunes.

--Reed (http://jreceiver.sourceforge.net)

#221420 - 27/04/2002 15:00 Re: The limit strikes again [Re: reedesau]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Okie dokie, entry put into the FAQ section of this BBS.

#221421 - 27/04/2002 15:17 Re: The limit strikes again [Re: tfabris]
reedesau

Just to be clear, there are two separate issues here.

First is the limitation of the official server software in the number of tunes it can index. I don't know what this limitation is exactly, but it's not really prepared for the large collections some users would like to access from their Rio. (This is what I thought you were talking about, and it's a limitation from which jrec doesn't suffer in any practical sense other than disk space.)

The second is the Rio's ability to handle large playlists. (This is what you were talking about apparently.) It fails in my tests with lists of >2K tunes where the behavior varies based upon the fragmentation of memory. JRec offers a partial solution to prevent the potential error -- it truncates the list at a size that is configurable through the web interface. Of course you can't then get a playlist of ALL your tunes, but thems are the breaks. It's a hardware limitation. The Rio doesn't do paging over large lists. The best workaround is to create playlists, with jrec or otherwise.

Sorry for the confusion!

--Reed (http://jreceiver.sourceforge.net)

#221422 - 27/04/2002 16:00 Re: The limit strikes again [Re: reedesau]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Thanks, will fix FAQ entry.