Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#204148 - 13/02/2004 11:44 Dynamat
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
My new (old) car is a 95 Corolla. When driving it, I notice significantly more road noise than the Altima it replaced. I was thinking about putting down Dynamat on the floor to help dampen the ambient noise.

Having no experience with the stuff, I was wondering if any of you guys could help me with some questions:

1. Does it work?
2. Does it work well enough to justify the price?
3. Is there a cheaper alternative with comparable results?

Thanks.

#204149 - 13/02/2004 11:53 Re: Dynamat [Re: JBjorgen]
belezeebub
addict

Ebay there are a TON of DynaMat Like products "Brown Bread, fat mat, etc.. you can also go to a Home inprovment store and buy a dynamat type roofing product by the 100 foot roll sure its not as good as real dynamat but its 1/8 the cost so use two layers.
______________________________________ Do not meddle in the affairs of Network Administrators, for they are subtle and quick to anger. ______________________________________ Worlds Lamest Wb Site (mine) http://home.comcast.net/~jlipchitz/

#204150 - 13/02/2004 11:53 Re: Dynamat [Re: JBjorgen]
jmwking
old hand

Loc: Washington, DC metro
There was a nice discussion of dynamat here.

-jk

#204151 - 13/02/2004 12:01 Re: Dynamat [Re: JBjorgen]
webroach
old hand

Loc: Colorado
My empeg's current home is a 96 Corolla.

Now that you mention it, maybe that IS roadnoise. I thought I was just getting hard of hearing.

VERY loud cars. I'd be interested in how the Dynamat (or alternative) works for you.

#204152 - 13/02/2004 12:19 Re: Dynamat [Re: webroach]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
Does it work? Yes. Is it worth the price? No. I have some dynamat wanna be stuff in my car that cost an arm and a leg. I wish i would have gone with the cheaper stuff... even the home depot generic stuff like belezeebub mentioned. It definitely works, but for what i paid i could have done my whole car in two layers with a generic brand.

#204153 - 13/02/2004 12:25 Re: Dynamat [Re: loren]
belezeebub
addict

Tell me about it, I dropped 2200 Bucks for dynamat Extreme to cover my Surbarbun and after that someone told me about the "Home Depot" stuff it would have cost me about 120 bucks (I was sick)
______________________________________ Do not meddle in the affairs of Network Administrators, for they are subtle and quick to anger. ______________________________________ Worlds Lamest Wb Site (mine) http://home.comcast.net/~jlipchitz/

#204154 - 13/02/2004 13:34 Re: Dynamat [Re: JBjorgen]
Mach
old hand

Loc: Texas, USA
I covered the inside of my Mustang up to and including the doors with Dynamat Extreme. It did help to drown out some of the bass tones from the mufflers and road noise but now I can hear the highs of the squeaks. I'll be going back to add some baffling when I take the dash off to do the firewall and front floorboards.

The most amazing difference was the doors which were covered both inside and on the exterior before the door skins went back on. The difference is noticeable but YMMV. It is still a loud car but that comes with the territory. I don't have to yell to have the passenger hear me now but it's still not good enough for listening to music. As a side benefit, the doors now close like their filled with concrete.

I'm not sure that the extra cost is warranted for the Dynamat Extreme. I would go with the cheaper home depot stuff if I was putting it in a daily driver. Just make sure it doesn't have asphalt in it. And get some seriously heavy gloves, several good utility/carpet knives, a 1" wall paper roller, and a heat gun. You will be amazed at how much your thumbs will hurt afterwards.

#204155 - 13/02/2004 14:16 Re: Dynamat [Re: belezeebub]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
The guys over at sounddomain.com seem to like the Damplifier and STFU80 stuff from SecondSkin. Last time I visited sounddomain, the owner was pretty active there and had the rep to stand behind the products.

/Michael

#204156 - 13/02/2004 19:45 Re: Dynamat [Re: JBjorgen]
HDs99
new poster

There's a discussion over at the RX7 forums about a product called QuietCoat. It's long, but it's worth reading - they go as far as measure the sound db at each stage of application. Unfortunately we're still waiting for the final results, but there are some good charts and graphs for the time being.
RX7 Forums: QuietCoat

#204157 - 13/02/2004 23:58 Re: Dynamat [Re: loren]
webroach
old hand

Loc: Colorado
Sorry, I was a bit quick with my post; I would NEVER spend the money on Dynamat. I've known about the Home Despot stuff for quite some time. What I'm more interested in is how well the Corolla quiets down.

It's something you get used to (the noise of the Corolla) and barely notice it after a while. That is, until you ride in your little brother's new VW Jetta.

SILENT.

#204158 - 14/02/2004 01:26 Re: Dynamat [Re: webroach]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
yeah, the noise difference from my Honda Civic to my Subaru WRX was incredible... then once i put sound suppression in the doors and trunk... wow. Now i'm getting used to it though and wish it was MORE silent... BMW silent. =]