Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#200885 - 28/01/2004 03:01 Problems with my unit....
slammed2001sc2
stranger

Alright. I have been having this problem with my Rio for close to 6 months now. Initially I thought it was the IDE cable. Well, I just replaced it with a brand new one and the problem has persisted. Here's the problem: after I have used the unit for a short while in my car (say, 1/2 hour to an hour) the sound will suddenly start to distort and I will hear the audio cut out, try to come back, and what sounds like some form of digital distortion. I can pull the unit out and about 50% of the time after reinserting it it starts to work OK again for a short while until repeating. Everything else on the unit works fine...all the functions work, and there are no other signs of malfuntion. I've checked the solder points on the IDE header on the mainboard and they all look good and intact. I am really starting to miss using my beloved Rio...does anyone have any possible ideas what may be wrong or something I may have overlooked that I could try???

Thanks...

#200886 - 28/01/2004 03:50 Re: Problems with my unit.... [Re: slammed2001sc2]
PaulWay
addict

Loc: Canberra, Australia
Hi!

This is not a problem with the hard disk or its cable. If it was, the symptoms would be the unit stopping playback completely and, upon rebooting, saying that it failed to detect a hard disk. Drive logic, file systems and CRCs are good enough these days that data does not get corrupted between the drive and the machine.

Your problem is most likely a ground loop of some sort, caused by a cable heating up or moving while driving. I had a very similar problem to this when the shop was installing my unit, because they hadn't ever heard of floating ground and had caused a ground loop on the audio cable shielding. I recommend checking the FAQ for solutions and troubleshooting information about ground loops.

Hope this helps,

Paul

#200887 - 28/01/2004 05:27 Re: Problems with my unit.... [Re: slammed2001sc2]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
Or could be the software, it might save time to post which version you're using before all the Empeg experts open the site up today

#200888 - 28/01/2004 07:35 Re: Problems with my unit.... [Re: boxer]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

...before all the Empeg experts open the site up today...

Now, now. You should know by now that most of those people are really bots anyway.

The software version would help. Also, what does the noise sound like - stuttering? fast/slow playback? whining? Is this condition the same when used with AC power in the home? Can you post a boot log? Thanks.

#200889 - 28/01/2004 07:38 Re: Problems with my unit.... [Re: slammed2001sc2]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Is the top front edge of the in-car mounting cage flat, or rolled back slightly like the bottom front edge is?

-ml

#200890 - 28/01/2004 07:41 Re: Problems with my unit.... [Re: mlord]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Hmmm... I see where you are going, but if the sled was not bent and it was a contact issue, I would have expected more cut outs in the audio, possibly rebooting. That was why I was curious about the "digital distortion".

#200891 - 28/01/2004 08:57 Re: Problems with my unit.... [Re: slammed2001sc2]
MinerTwoFour
journeyman

Loc: St. Louis, MO
No solution here, but I think I had the same problem that you had, well, at least the same symptoms. I think it had something to do with the heat, cause it would work for 30 minutes or so, then the jumbled digital output would screech and distort. That was in the summer, I ended up recrimping the IDE cable, and it has worked perfectly ever since. Alot of the members here insisted on replacing the hard disk, but I figured I'd open her up and try recrimping the cable first. Saved some cash, I guess.

#200892 - 28/01/2004 11:59 Re: Problems with my unit.... [Re: MinerTwoFour]
slammed2001sc2
stranger

As far as ground loops.....my unit has been installed in my car for close to two years now and it was trouble free up until about 6 months ago. My installation has not changed at all in the car. So unless something has come loose possibly, I don't think it's a ground loop. But I could be wrong. I am running version 2.00 final of the Empeg software. I've tried going back to the earlier versions but the same problems were appearing. I can post my boot log but I will need to find myself another serial cable as mine seems to have misplaced itself My cage is perfectly fine, the edges are rolled and the unit is making perfect contact with the connector....

Edited by slammed2001sc2 (28/01/2004 12:00)

#200893 - 28/01/2004 12:40 Re: Problems with my unit.... [Re: PaulWay]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
This is not a problem with the hard disk or its cable. If it was, the symptoms would be the unit stopping playback completely and, upon rebooting, saying that it failed to detect a hard disk.
Actually, his symptoms are consistent with some kind of disk drive trouble. Others who have reported such a problem have sometimes resolved it by solving problems with the disk drive.

Slammed, the cable and the IDE header are not the only two things that can go wrong with a disk drive. It could also be a bad disk drive, a heat problem, a spindle pressure problem... any of those things might cause those symptoms. It could also be unrelated to the disk drive, as others have suggested in this forum. Please check carefully every possible one of the causes.

#200894 - 28/01/2004 21:55 Re: Problems with my unit.... [Re: tfabris]
slammed2001sc2
stranger

So you're suggesting maybe trying a different hard drive in my unit? I don't really have access to one, but I suppose I could buy one somewhere and if it didn't solve the problem I could return it

#200895 - 29/01/2004 14:03 Re: Problems with my unit.... [Re: slammed2001sc2]
TRUNGLE
new poster

Are you having the same problem when running on AC power and using the audio out jack on the back of the unit?

I recently upgraded my HD so the original 10GB is available if you would like to borrow it. PM me if you are interested.

Tom

#200896 - 29/01/2004 22:34 Re: Problems with my unit.... [Re: TRUNGLE]
slammed2001sc2
stranger

Yes, it seems to be affecting the audio outs on the back of the unit as well....I went and purchased myself a new 30 gig Fujitsu drive and DOH I seem to have misplaced my serial cable! I'll have to find another one tomorrow and try to replace the hard drive. I will keep everyone posted on my progress....thanks for all the quick replies everyone.