Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#20057 - 10/10/2000 22:19 New component box for Mk2
bmihulka
enthusiast

Loc: Lincoln, NE
I have posted some pics of the component box I'm working on for the mk2. It includes docked ethernet. If you want to check it out go to my empeg page under the pics section.

Brian

-Finally received my Mark2 no thanks to customs.

-See my empeg <a href="www.hulkster.net/empeg" target="_blank">here</a>-

#20058 - 11/10/2000 01:52 Re: New component box for Mk2 [Re: bmihulka]
Rod
journeyman

Loc: Australia
Hi Brian,

You have done a good job on the box.

I am just a bit concerned (for your sake) about your mains wiring. Please connect the mains earth to the power supply case and to the empeg case. As you have introduced mains wiring into the empeg cage it is important for the cage to be earthed, especially as you have not double insulated the wiring.

I just want you around to post on this BBS some more.

Rod.

#20059 - 11/10/2000 08:54 Re: New component box for Mk2 [Re: Rod]
bmihulka
enthusiast

I purposely left the ground off, because it introduces noise in the system(insert ground loop). I know the risks and its my personal project, so I try not to kill myself. Any case most all home audio equipment is ungrounded. I did make sure to correctly hook up the hot and neutral leads.

#20060 - 11/10/2000 12:48 Re: New component box for Mk2 [Re: bmihulka]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
I know the risks and its my personal project,

Probably you're OK as long as the box is sealed up, right?

But... that box does seal up pretty good. Are you OK for cooling? Might be fun to put a thermometer in the box, seal it all up and run it for a few hours, then open it quick and see what the temperature is.

But you probably thought of all this and don't need me making silly comments about your engineering.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"

#20061 - 11/10/2000 13:20 Re: New component box for Mk2 [Re: bmihulka]
jpski
stranger

Loc: Seattle, WA
What mode does the empeg think that it is in when it is installed in your box??? car or home?

Mk2/40GB/Blue

#20062 - 11/10/2000 15:13 Re: New component box for Mk2 [Re: tanstaafl.]
Rod
journeyman

Loc: Australia
Having the box sealed up tight will not solve the problem of the empeg sled (and empeg) becoming live if there is a fault with the mains switch or damage to the mains wiring passing through the sled.

Rod.

#20063 - 11/10/2000 15:43 Re: New component box for Mk2 [Re: Rod]
bmihulka
enthusiast

I realized what you were talking about a little after I posted that reply. Sure there is that possibility, I might go back and add some more insulation around that switch. I think it should be ok. I for sure wouldn't sell something hooked up like that.

Brian

#20064 - 11/10/2000 15:48 Re: New component box for Mk2 [Re: tanstaafl.]
bmihulka
enthusiast

I did have it running for a while with the top on and I didn't seem to get that warm. I was actually thinking about ventilation. Although the empeg is designed to be in a car dash with almost no ventilation it only comes down to how much heat the power supply generates. In my case the supply is rated at 2.5 amps so it doesn't get all that warm and I decided not to add any vents.

Brian

#20065 - 11/10/2000 15:51 Re: New component box for Mk2 [Re: jpski]
bmihulka
enthusiast

It thinks it is in the car. Which for me is fine because in both car and home I leave the unit set at 0db and control volume with head unit or tuner. And from another thread if it did think it was at home the docked audio outputs would not be powered, so my unit would not work.

Brian

#20066 - 11/10/2000 15:51 Re: New component box for Mk2 [Re: bmihulka]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
Docking the ethernet connector seems to work much better than I expected. I just finished modifying a car mount for the purpose (Cambridge Car Audio are routing ethernet in our demonstrator tomorrow!) and it works perfectly. I get completely reliable docking every time, but only time will tell the longterm reliability.

The mod to the docking bay cost less than $5 in hardware, and took about half an hour to complete. Pics will be on the geeksite after the install tomorrow.

Before anyone asks, this will not become a standard feature of the car mount because it involves the use of connectors outside of their specified mode of operation. Building it in as standard would require that we warranty it, and that isn't possible.

Rob

#20067 - 11/10/2000 16:23 Re: New component box for Mk2 [Re: rob]
bmihulka
enthusiast

Yeah, the way I hooked it up cost me nothing. I had the little metal strap lying around and just ziptied the cable to it and bent it to line it up to the port. I haven't had any binding problems, but I haven't used it much as well. I'll check out how you mounted it to the sled when you post it, because I want to add that in my truck.

Brian