Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#19805 - 09/10/2000 04:07 Getting Ethernet to work?
Squid2k1

Loc: Ocean Floor
Okay, I know there is a post about Ethernet not working etc and I am not sure this is a bug or not. So, I wanted to ask some questions before making a stink.

At work, we have a network (duh!) and we use DHCP. My systems are: Windows 2k, Win Me, and Win98SE. All of them use DHCP to get an IP address and I have no problems whatsoever networking. My laptop is a personal laptop and I use it on the university's DHCP network also. The network at work is 100Mbps and I assume it is switchable to 10Mbps, although I have not confirmed that. The university is 10Mbps but I have not tried my empeg there (I will do so when I have class this week). So, let us assume that my work network is switchable to 10Mbps.

Ok, I connect the empeg to the network and turn it on. Logo comes up, all looks well. I go to the About but it does not show an IP address. I think it said DHCP Off or None. Started Emplode just in case and did Ethernet broadcast. Not able to find it.

So, I took my laptop, put it on the net, wrote down all the IP info (address, subnet, gateway), started EMPLODE using USB and configured the EMPEG with that information and synched. I unplugged the EMPEG and let it sit for 5 minutes. Unhooked USB and plugged in ethernet again (same cable used for laptop). Turned it on. Waited a few minutes then tried pinging that address. Nothing. Went into EMPLODE, ethernet broadcast, nothing. Set a specific IP but still nothing. Went to the EMPEG and looked at About again. It had the correct IP address in it.

So, my question is, is there more to it or is something wrong? If it does not work at univeristy (10Mbps), then should I try a small hub and hook it up to my home pc and EMPEG and make my own personal network?

My EMPEG is v1.01.

#19806 - 09/10/2000 09:54 Re: Getting Ethernet to work? [Re: Squid2k1]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Sounds like your first problem might be the 100mbps thing.

The Empeg is a 10mbps-only unit. If you plug it into a hub/switch that auto-senses between 10 and 100, then it'll work. But not all hubs/switches auto-sense between 10 and 100. Check that first.

#19807 - 09/10/2000 10:26 Re: Getting Ethernet to work? [Re: tfabris]
Verteggio
stranger

Loc: Atlanta, GA USA
As well, unless I am reading the post wrong, it sounds like you are configuring the empeg with a specific IP address to connect to your works' network running on a DHCP server? Is this right? If it is, read below -- if not, well then just ignore me...

If so, the solution is pretty simple -- when you are going to use the empeg at work, just set it up for DHCP and you should be fine. What you are doing is telling the dhcp server to use a specific IP, which 1)Might be in use on another computer already, or 2)THe DHCP server does not like machines to pick their own static ip.

#19808 - 09/10/2000 10:30 Re: Getting Ethernet to work? [Re: Verteggio]
Squid2k1

As well, unless I am reading the post wrong, it sounds like you are configuring the empeg with a specific IP address to connect to your works' network running on a DHCP server
That is one method. The first method was to not assign the EMPEG an IP and just let it use DHCP to get one. That did not work, which is why I tried the specific IP. The IP was not taken as I tested it before and after and it was on a Saturday morning and no one was here.

When I try the EMPEG at the university, I will post a follow-up.

#19809 - 12/10/2000 05:51 Re: Getting Ethernet to work? [Re: tfabris]
Squid2k1

Sounds like your first problem might be the 100mbps thing
You were right, of course! As soon as I hooked it up to the university LAN, it got an IP address and was pingable. I was not able to test transfer speeds due to time limitation. Looks like I will be buying a small hub for home! I am getting DSL soon, so it will come in really handy then (2 PCs and now an EMPEG).

Thanks (to all) for the help!