Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#163972 - 03/06/2003 18:37 Auto-loading the XML remote window.
jbauer
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Hi All,

I have been using CharcoalGray's v1.3 XML happily and want to try and figure out a way to auto load the small rio remote window every time my XP PC boots up. I tried to add it as an active desktop element, but it just adds a piece of the remote picture... Is there a link that will load the window without having to go through the XML main menu or a way to get it loaded into the active desktop?

Sorry if this has been discussed, I couldn't find it in the first 5 pages that I found when searching for "charcoalgray".

- Thanx
- Jon

#163973 - 04/06/2003 10:33 Re: Auto-loading the XML remote window. [Re: jbauer]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yes, create an Internet Explorer shortcut, pointing to this:

http://empeg/drive0/opt/khttpd/charcoalgray99/rioremote.html

Then copy that icon to your startup group.

It won't be sized right, though.

A slightly harder method would be to create an HTML file on your hard disk that used Javascript to launch it and size it right. Then point your IE shortcut to that HTML file.

HMMMM...

I'm going to go try this now...

#163974 - 04/06/2003 10:37 Re: Auto-loading the XML remote window. [Re: tfabris]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

I use the local html / javascript approach to put the image of my player (with live updates and smoke-colored lens) on my homepage.

#163975 - 04/06/2003 11:16 Re: Auto-loading the XML remote window. [Re: pgrzelak]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I've tried to do this, but I'm having trouble with Satan'sTongue, er, I mean, JavaScript.

I have created an HTML file that pops up the Rio Remote window just fine, using the following Javascript syntax:

window.open(url,'rioremote','toolbar=NO,location=NO,directories=NO,
status=NO,menubar=NO,scrollbars=NO,resizable=NO,copyhistory=NO,
width=160,height=252');

This works fine, but the original calling window is still open. So I try to close it with:

self.close();

And this works, but IE puts up an annoying messagebox saying "this window is trying to close, do you want to allow it?" or something like that. Ick.

What I really want to do is just have the window resize itself properly without having to launch Yet Another Window to make the borders and size correct. Like this:

self.location=url;
self.toolbar=NO;
self.directories=NO;
self.status=NO;
self.menubar=NO;
self.scrollbars=NO;
self.resizable=NO;
self.copyhistory=NO;
self.width=160;
self.height=252;

Out of the above, only the self.location command works, the rest do nothing.

God, I hate Javascript. Anyone want to tell me how I can do what I'm trying to do?

#163976 - 04/06/2003 11:26 Re: Auto-loading the XML remote window. [Re: tfabris]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Greetings!

Rather than embed the javascript in an html file, can you just have it as a stand alone .JS file, and execute that? (I don't know if this can be done, just tossing an idea out.)

#163977 - 04/06/2003 11:44 Re: Auto-loading the XML remote window. [Re: pgrzelak]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I don't know the syntax to do that. When I just put the <script> tags around the window.open command, then save it as a JS file, then doubleclick on the JS file, I get a syntax error.

#163978 - 04/06/2003 12:15 Re: Auto-loading the XML remote window. [Re: tfabris]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

I don't think it needs the script tag... Looking at the rhino book, you can just have it as a plain .js file, as long as you have the mime type set correctly to application/x-javascript. I haven't tried it myself, though, so I am not certain this will work.

#163979 - 04/06/2003 12:32 Re: Auto-loading the XML remote window. [Re: pgrzelak]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Looking at the rhino book, you can just have it as a plain .js file, as long as you have the mime type set correctly to application/x-javascript. I haven't tried it myself, though, so I am not certain this will work.
Tried that too, no dice.

One thing that did occur to me....

It was silly to put self.location first, because the other things would never get called that way. I have to put self.location last.

Probably need to do something similar with "resizable" and width/height...

#163980 - 04/06/2003 13:15 Re: Auto-loading the XML remote window. [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Okay, this sucks. The Javascript documentation here says:

Examples
The following example would make the referenced window "chromeless" (chromeless windows lack toolbars, scrollbars, status areas, and so on, much like a dialog box) by hiding most of the user interface toolbars:

self.menubar.visible=false;
self.toolbar.visible=false;
self.locationbar.visible=false;
self.personalbar.visible=false;
self.scrollbars.visible=false;
self.statusbar.visible=false;

Yet when I run that it says "self.menubar is null or not an object".

Saying self.menubar=false; runs without error, but does nothing to change the window chrome.

I HATE JAVASCRIPT!!!!

#163981 - 04/06/2003 13:17 Re: Auto-loading the XML remote window. [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I HATE JAVASCRIPT!!!!
More accurately, you hate your browser's half-assed implementation of it. Those statements work fine in Netscape 7 for Solaris, for example. (It doesn't work w/o the visible part, though.)

Why don't you use VBScript, which IE is likely to like better?

#163982 - 04/06/2003 13:36 Re: Auto-loading the XML remote window. [Re: wfaulk]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

More accurately, you hate your browser's half-assed implementation of it.
Actually, I hated it when I was coding for Netscape, too. Figuring out the syntax of things was always way too tricky, and stuff you think should work, doesn't.

Anyway, I found this statement in some obscure place on the web:

Internet Explorer 4 does not allow modification to current window chrome.

So I guess I'll have to see if VBscript allows it. The documentation on VBScript is hard to get through. There's no "WINDOW" object that I can find in the documentation...

#163983 - 04/06/2003 17:16 Re: Auto-loading the XML remote window. [Re: jbauer]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Okay, I cheated.

If your player is named "empeg" on the network, and you've put the XML files in their default location, then you can just run these. If you want them to point to another location, then specify that location instead as a command line parameter (i.e., make a shortcut and edit the shortcut).

Attachments
162291-crapplets.zip (72 downloads)