Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#156993 - 24/04/2003 11:12 Web-Based Knowledge Base / FAQ repository?
ricin
veteran

Loc: US: CA
Ok, I need to find a good web-based Knowledge Base package.

I've found a few on freshmeat and sourceforge, but none of them meet all of my requirements, and the ones that came close just aren't mature enough.

I'd like to find one that comes very close to the requirements that I can just modify to our liking.

Here are the current requirements/features:

• Centralized repository for on-line technical documents & FAQs.
  • Creation of documents with a simple editor, maybe a Java Applet.
    (The use of a Java Applet for actual content creation might be ok, but I'm trying to stay away from any kind of client, if possible. The upside to a Java Applet is it would be more user friendly to the author(s), being that it could have controls that mimic other word processors, etc.)
  • Must be completely Web-Based.
  • Ability to upload pre-existing documents (PDF, DOC), and have them translated into HTML/XML for storage on the server.
  • Related to the above: Creation of PDF from current version of document in HTML/XML.
  • Availability of a relatively mature API for future feature expansion.
  • Template based layout to keep our design department happy and allow them to make it "pretty."

Real Objects has a fairly feature-rich Java applet, but I'm still not so sure I want to go with something like that.

I'm about 90% sure I'm going to have to write this myself, as I don't see there being any packages that can meet all these requirements and still be flexible enough to allow us to change it. <dreaming>It'd be nice to not have to do anything but install and configure a package, though. </dreaming>

Anyone know of a good solution? Comments? Anything?
ricin.us

#156994 - 24/04/2003 15:30 Re: Web-Based Knowledge Base / FAQ repository? [Re: ricin]
mdavey
enthusiast

Loc: Wellingborough, UK
Okay, you don't say what your budget is, but you could look at the following:

Commercial
o FatWire
o Sopheon

Open Source components:
o Apache Forrest - project documentation in XML
o Apache FOP - dynamically render HTML, PS, PDF, DOC, etc from XML documents
o Apache POI (DOC support for FOP)
Ex-owner of stolen empeg #030102741

#156995 - 24/04/2003 16:07 Re: Web-Based Knowledge Base / FAQ repository? [Re: mdavey]
ricin
veteran

Loc: US: CA
...you don't say what your budget is...

There isn't one as of yet. This just came to light in the past week.

Those suggestions definitely help, thanks! I'll look into them.
ricin.us