Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#14963 - 23/08/2000 00:00 buying from the US, to all UK guys
andrew walker
new poster

Loc: Midlands, UK
Ok, I have my EMPEG now, 12 Gig Blue (very nice), just need an AMP.

Can any UK guys that have brought car stereo kit from the US please describe their experiences?

I am looking at the rockford Rockford Punch 600a5 which has
50W x 4 + 100W x 1.

Looking at some US discount internet traders they are selling for $482, over here its going for $1022 (thats a 2 fold increase !!).

Yes I know you have to add on shipping, but what is the score with our customs people, is it a case you may be lucky or not be lucky? Are there any hidden extras?

Secondly, no one seems to accept VISA on international orders, does anyone know any that do?

Can anyone please advise if it is worth taking the trouble/risk to import?

Thanks,
Andy Walker

#14964 - 23/08/2000 02:00 Re: buying from the US, to all UK guys [Re: andrew walker]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
That's a pretty major hike!

On imported stuff to the UK you're usually looking at 10% import duty and 17.5% VAT. I've never been stung for more than this, though that was bad enough (still makes sense to buy CDs from CDNOW though...)

One thing: Cambridge car audio (the local-to-empeg installers) used to do Rockford Fosgate but stopped after many problems - faulty units, unreliable units, etc.

Maybe you should try a different brand - Kicker are thought to be pretty damn good (ok, I have one in my beetle - see the installs forum - but it sounds great to me). Specs are similar - 40x4+250x1ish (class D?/T? sub amp) - kicker impulse 405, it goes for a lot less than $1000 and has neat touches like a remote sub gain control that I've got fitted under my dash.

Hugo

#14965 - 23/08/2000 04:29 Re: buying from the US, to all UK guys [Re: altman]
mardibloke
addict

Loc: Penarth, UK
Was told by a local (UK) shop today that they stopped Rockford as quality control and manufacture moved a while back, and quality is not very good now.

I just booked holiday in Florida - perhaps I should hang on and pick up amp during that trip?

- --
Rod, UK Mk2 Red S/No.341

#14966 - 23/08/2000 07:35 Re: buying from the US, to all UK guys [Re: mardibloke]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
FWIW, I have been told similar things about RF. I was told by an installer that one of RF's main amp designers left to work for MTX because RF's quality have been going down for the last couple of years. Of course, the installer was trying to sell me on an MTX, so take that for what it is worth.

Also, most people tend to think of RF amps as being decent at driving subs, but not having the best sound quality for driving the rest of your speakers.

-Mike

#14967 - 23/08/2000 09:02 Re: buying from the US, to all UK guys [Re: mcomb]
trevorp

Loc: Ft Lauderdale, FL
I'm on good terms with a local install shop, and they told me that RF is pretty much crap now. I used to have a RF Punch amp in my truck. It is the one that decided to turn off at random times (not thermal related.)

When I went to get a new one, they told me they didn't carry it anymore because the brand was going to hell... They recommended a Kicker Impulse 404 (slightly smaller than Hugo's), and it sounds great!

Can't help you with the US -> UK import though...

-Trevor

-----
Mk 2, Green 12GB, Tuner, 2.0b11, 080000349

#14968 - 23/08/2000 15:16 Re: buying from the US, to all UK guys [Re: trevorp]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
The stereo shop I do business with will not handle Rockford Fosgate. Too many problems, poor sound quality. About the only cars I see in competition with these amps are the lunatics who are trying for maximum SPL, on a budget.

I have no personal, first-hand experience with Rockford Fosgate.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"