Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#131423 - 18/12/2002 11:29 GPSApp info?
Elite M3

Loc: Sunnyvale, CA, USA
Ok, I know this exists somewhere, and I am sorry that I can't find it, but where is information about GPSApp? I have seen the FAQ, but it doesn't point to any background information about the app...just the releases and fixes.

1) What do I need (other than the RioCar) to get this working? Specific hardware recommendations?
2) Where is there information about the actual app?
3) Any drawbacks or functionality loss once installed? While working?
4) Why don't I have this running RIGHT NOW on my player because it is soo cool?

Any help (with the first 3 q's) would be great! I am very interested in this app, but it seems that everyone discussing it knows about all this and don't discuss the prerequisites of what is needed to get it working.

Edited by Elite M3 (18/12/2002 11:34)

#131424 - 18/12/2002 13:43 Re: GPSApp info? [Re: Elite M3]
jaharkes
enthusiast

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
There is a readme file in the tarball that tries to provide step by step instructions. Once you've installed a couple of 3rd party applications (empacman is still one of my favorites to show to friends) it is as simple as dropping it onto the player with ftp. But if you've never installed anything before, it involves setting up a /programs0 partition, installing empeg-preinit, etc. In any case it is mostly documented in the readme.

You can use pretty much any GPS that I know of, most devices support at least NMEA output, and dbrashear provided the code to handle a couple that typically don't (tripmate&earthmate). I myself started off with a Garmin Venture, and later installed one of the 6-channel Trimble vehicle-tracking receivers. You can often get either the Trimble SV6 or the Motorola Oncore for next to nothing at www.bgmicro.com, but you need to do some soldering before these can be connected to the empeg.

Drawbacks and functionality loss, when gpsapp runs the player can't use the serial port, so it will probably interfere with hijacks attemps of tracking what song is playing (/proc/empeg_notify?) While gpsapp is active, the buttons are all intercepted, but you can still change songs using the remote. Another drawback is that I tend to look too much at the empeg display while driving.

You might not have it running right now because it is still a very immature program. It only deals with pre-processed routes that have to be grabbed off of a website, which isn't too good at finding the best route to drive. There are some reports that during a long drive it sometimes seems to lock up the player and reboot.

Information about the actual app should be in the link in my signature
40GB - serial #40104051 gpsapp

#131425 - 18/12/2002 13:49 Re: GPSApp info? [Re: jaharkes]
tonyc
carpal tunnel

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
You might not have it running right now because it is still a very immature program. It only deals with pre-processed routes that have to be grabbed off of a website, which isn't too good at finding the best route to drive. There are some reports that during a long drive it sometimes seems to lock up the player and reboot.

http://www.happyfunball.com/hfb.html