Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#130862 - 14/12/2002 08:03 Syncronization error
Miller
new poster

Loc: New Hampshire
I just got an empeg, found a friend with a PC (I am a Mac user) uploaded the 2.0 Kernel & the most recent version of Emplode & player software. Now there are a few wierd issues. First of all, I can no longer connect to the empeg using Jemplode. It worked fine a couple times & I even uploaded some music. No big deal, I have Virtual PC & Emplode. I find it hard to connect with Emplode because my Empeg's IP address keeps changing. No big deal, I just check what it is each time & set the options accordingly. When I synch the files I now get an error:
"Synchronize failed while restarting player. An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. (error 0x80072746)"
However all files upload & the player does restart itself.
What gives?
Thanks,
Brian

#130863 - 14/12/2002 22:50 Re: Syncronization error [Re: Miller]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I find it hard to connect with Emplode because my Empeg's IP address keeps changing. No big deal, I just check what it is each time & set the options accordingly.

You shouldn't need to set a specific IP address. If your computer and the empeg are on the same network, they'll get compatible IP addresses from the DHCP server and then the "network broadcast" option should work every time.

Of course, if you're not using a DHCP server, then both devices (your PC and the empeg) are probably setting somewhat random addresses each time they boot and you should set up fixed addressing for both devices.

In any case, it sounds like you're running into some kind of network communication issue. How much do you know about IP networking? Answer that so we can know what level of advice to give...

#130864 - 15/12/2002 08:52 Re: Syncronization error [Re: tfabris]
Miller
new poster

Loc: New Hampshire
Tony, thanks for the reply.
I know nothing about IP networking. I use a Mac PB g4 & it seems to do everything for me. I am noticing that I now cannot connect with Jemplode but as long as I look up the Empeg IP address each time, I can connect with Emplode on Virtual PC. So what am I doing wrong? If I set up permanent addresses, will this affect my ethernet connection at work? And how do I set up a permanent IP address on the Empeg?
Thanks,
Brian

#130865 - 16/12/2002 07:49 Re: Syncronization error [Re: tfabris]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Tony, I was going to suggest that it should just work if they're on the same network, too, but I'll bet that network broadcasts and VirtualPC don't work together very well.