Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#129894 - 09/12/2002 18:29 Selectable playlist, in middle of a playlist??
DirtyDozen
stranger

Loc: ... they call us Massholes
This may be impossible, but it would be nasty if I could do this...
I've tried to help myself, searching around. Except the filter's, and wendy's don't exactly enable me to do what I thought was possible...

Here is a diagram to help explain:

My problem, in a nutshell:
- I like the idea of just simply having a general, type of music selection.
- Except it become's agrivating if I come across a band I dont want to hear at that point in time.
- I then have to pass, on average, 20 MP3's.

(I know I can create a playlist for a Band, having to go to the menu to select it... Couldn't the playlist be displayed in the middle of an already selected "Type" of music. To be pushed, to start playing all of that band's music?)

Please let me know if this is possible...
- DirtyDozen

Attachments
128780-Empeg Situation.jpg (78 downloads)

#129895 - 09/12/2002 18:36 Re: Selectable playlist, in middle of a playlist?? [Re: DirtyDozen]
DirtyDozen
stranger

(Just fixing the picture)

Attachments
128782-Empeg Situation.jpg (256 downloads)

#129896 - 09/12/2002 18:41 Re: Selectable playlist, in middle of a playlist?? [Re: DirtyDozen]
DeadFire
addict

I have my playlists organized by "type" of music, in the way that I classify my own collection. The sublists are then band name, and under those - album year and name. If I'm not sure which band I want to listen to, I just shuffle one of the top playlists ("types").

Also, if you've been careful or specific about tagging your mp3s with a limited number of genres in the genre field if the ID3 tag, then you can have the empeg search and create a playlist for you using that field.

Edit: Well, now that I have seen the picture, I think you are looking for something more like Tweak Order By Artist. This is covered somewhere in the FAQ. You may even be able to find it by searching for that exact term.

Edited by DeadFire (09/12/2002 18:43)

#129897 - 09/12/2002 19:03 Re: Selectable playlist, in middle of a playlist?? [Re: DirtyDozen]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Hmmm, I think all you really need is the hate artist function. (which is an extension of the tweak order that DeadFire mentioned). If you select rock, and decide you don't want to hear the Aardvarks because they come up first every time, you just hold down the artist key for a long press, and it'll skip right to the next artist.

Many people have asked for a "skip album" feature, and this is the best way people have some up with to pretend to skip an album...

Matthew

#129898 - 09/12/2002 21:48 Re: Selectable playlist, in middle of a playlist?? [Re: DirtyDozen]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
DirtyDozen, have a look at this feature that was mentioned earlier in the thread, I think it covers what you want to do.

#129899 - 09/12/2002 22:44 Re: Selectable playlist, in middle of a playlist?? [Re: tfabris]
DirtyDozen
stranger

The "Tweak Order" is something I will have to configure, later on.
(Once my brain stop's hurting from installing preinit...)

The basic idea of my diagram, was having a playlist button "disguised", or "just like", a file inside a general playlist. (So the only way to hear a Nirvana song, is to select the Nirvana playlist button first. Which would be excapable by pressing the top button.)

Tony: Do you know if this has been brought up before?...
- DirtyDozen

#129900 - 09/12/2002 23:23 Re: Selectable playlist, in middle of a playlist?? [Re: DirtyDozen]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
I don't know about Tony, but you've compleetly confused me. I suspect you might need to use the player a bit more to get the hang of it. Tweak Order isn't anything that needs to be configured, it just works(as long as your tags are right, but everyone has perfect tags, right?). Playlists within playlists are a basic feature the empeg has. The only way for me to select a nirvana song specificaly is to go into By Artist > Nirvana.

Care to elaborate a bit more on what exactly you're trying to do? How does it differ from the basic nested playlists? It could just be I'm missing your point entirely...

Matthew

#129901 - 10/12/2002 01:30 Re: Selectable playlist, in middle of a playlist?? [Re: matthew_k]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think what he wants is when he chooses a directory to play such as "ROCK", he wants the subdirectories to appear in Now & Next, instead of just the files.

#129902 - 10/12/2002 07:28 Re: Selectable playlist, in middle of a playlist?? [Re: matthew_k]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
    Playlists within playlists are a basic feature the empeg has.
What you have to realize, though, is that one songs are selected to be played, there are no longer any playlists involved. It flattens everything out into one big list of tracks in memory and no longer references or even knows about the playlists you selected them from once you've selected them.

IMO, it's the one big flaw of the empeg player's software. There are any number of times that I'd like to have the concept of playing playlists within the running order, and this is just one of them.

#129903 - 10/12/2002 10:40 Re: Selectable playlist, in middle of a playlist?? [Re: matthew_k]
DirtyDozen
stranger

"...for me to select a nirvana song specificaly is to go into By Artist > Nirvana."

Yes, I am talking about a playlist by Artist, except:
I realy enjoy just sorting all my file's as "Genre" (Rock, Hip-Hop, Rap, etc.)

My wanted method is:
- If I have more than 5 song's by one artist, they would be put into a playlist, labeled: That Artist.
Which could be accesable inside a specific genre.
- Inside all of those genres, if I wanted to "play all", it would begin...
Playing all the artist file's, that I don't have more than 4 of...
- If I come across an artist that I have 5, or more files, it would not play any music, just display the Artist.
To be played by being selected, then continuing to play all of that artist's files.

I would guess it to continue to the next artist, after all of the artist's file's were played...
Also guessing, it to be excapable by pressing the top (of the 4) button.

(Seem's so simple in my head, but typing an explaination, seem's so difficult.)
- DirtyDozen

#129904 - 10/12/2002 11:03 Re: Selectable playlist, in middle of a playlist?? [Re: DirtyDozen]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
I'm still not clear about what you're trying to do. You can organise your music any way that you want. Including this. Just set up a "Genres" playlist, and put all of your music in there. If you've got a lot of tracks by a particular artist, just create a playlist in that playlist, containing those tracks.

You can then select all music, a particular genre, or a particular artist in that genre.

However, like Bitt says: once you've selected your music, the player has absolutely no concept of playlists.

#129905 - 10/12/2002 11:06 Re: Selectable playlist, in middle of a playlist?? [Re: DirtyDozen]
DeadFire
addict

- If I come across an artist that I have 5, or more files, it would not play any music...

Let me get this straight, you actually want your empeg to be silent? And assuming the feature existed, it sounds like more work then necessary. So I will repeat myself. My player has sublists of artists under each main playlist (genre). This way I can listen to a genre, but if I want to stick to an artist, then I just use Tweak Order to get the artist I want to hear to appear next for a song or two, or more. Once those are done playing, it will continue on playing the other stuff that's still in memory. And as for escaping the feature, well, Tweak Order doesn't find every song and inser them before the next song that's not by the artist you want right now, so escaping isn't necessary. Much less work.

In my opinion, that is a much easier way to go about accomplishing what you want. But it would require that you have Artist playlists inside your Genre playlists.

#129906 - 10/12/2002 13:23 Re: Selectable playlist, in middle of a playlist?? [Re: DirtyDozen]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

DirtyDozen, have you read this and this?

#129907 - 10/12/2002 15:52 Re: Selectable playlist, in middle of a playlist?? [Re: tfabris]
DirtyDozen
stranger

Thank's Guy's...

Alright, your method's helped me, but I have one question:
In a general playlist, If I come across the first song, of say 30, could I hold down the right button, to skip all other's with that beginning name, tueit; that artist?

Is it the wendy filter that could help me with, what I think is called, the skip feature.

Thank's again, to all...
- DirtyDozen

#129908 - 10/12/2002 18:11 Re: Selectable playlist, in middle of a playlist?? [Re: DirtyDozen]
V99

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
What you want there is the Hate buttons, which matthew_k already noted.. a long press of the '2' button (sub-labeled Artist) on the remote will remove all songs in your play queue that have the same artist as the song currently playing. 3 will similarly do the same by Album, 5 by Genre, 6 by Year. Check out the button guide.

#129909 - 11/12/2002 21:04 Re: Selectable playlist, in middle of a playlist?? [Re: V99]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Except that Year doesn't work for the Hate feature... Was discussed in another thread.