Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#130277 - 11/12/2002 09:20 Empeg & mac
Miller
new poster

Loc: New Hampshire
Hello,

I just got my empeg & just registered on this board. I have been monitoring things for a couple months so I have a vague idea of what is going on.
I am a Mac user, PB G4 running OSX. I've downloaded Jemplode but I understand that I need Kernel 2.0 to get it to work. How am I to install this kernel? If it matters, I plan on connecting via ethernet cable. Can I do it from virtual PC or do I need to borrow a real pc? And will I ever be able to install files from a Mac? Is there a step by step guide for Mac users? I'm no programmer & most of the linux references just confuse me.
Thanks in advance,
Brian Miller

#130278 - 11/12/2002 09:28 Re: Empeg & mac [Re: Miller]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Welcome.

In order to upgrade software, you first need a serial port, which might not be available on your Mac. I believe that David has said that at least some of the USB-Serial adapters work on Macs.

Once you're over that hurdle, it's easiest to do it with a Mac using Virtual PC (especially if you already have it), but I'm sure that it could be accomplished via some other methods as well. Splitting the .upgrade file and using the upload program to upload the pieces individually might work, but hasn't been tried before AFAIK, and would be complicated, although all the pieces should be there to do it.

#130279 - 11/12/2002 09:31 Re: Empeg & mac [Re: wfaulk]
Miller
new poster

Loc: New Hampshire
Thanks for the quick reply Bitt.
Does this mean that I can not upload files with the eternet cable?
Thanks,
Brian

#130280 - 11/12/2002 09:37 Re: Empeg & mac [Re: Miller]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
The only thing you can't do without the serial cable is perform software updates. You will be able to load music over the ethernet cable, so for day to day use you won't need to worry. As long as you don't live more than 50 miles from a PC that you have access to, your best bet is to use a PC to install the latest 2.0 Beta (13) and the hijack kernel. Both are available from the links at the top of the board. You may not want hijack now, but you'll never noice it's there untill you want to play with it, and if you install it while you're on the PC you'll be able to update it over ethernet with jemplode.

Using this method, you'll still have to hunt up a PC every once in a while for Sonic Blue(tm) software releases, but that doesn't happen all that frequently.

Matthew

#130281 - 11/12/2002 09:39 Re: Empeg & mac [Re: Miller]
tman
carpal tunnel

You need a serial cable if you want to change the software on the empeg. It's probably got version 1.03 software assuming nobody upgraded it for you. If you're not bothered about the new features in 2.0b13 then you don't need to upgrade.

Just use emplode with VirtualPC over ethernet to upload your music.

- Trevor