Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#11898 - 25/07/2000 13:15 Serial Port
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Okay, I've got some things to ask (what's new).

First of all, I'd like to know if it's okay to add an extension to the in-car serial cable and have it come out to where I'm running the RCA cables. I just started reading the user guide (I know, it's taken me a while), and it says it needs to be insulated. Does it still need to be if it's not back there with all the other electrical stuff?

Now about the newsletters: is empeg planning on publishing any more newsletters? And what happened to the section about "creative uses for the serial port"? That sort of fell off the issues after 9 or so, or perhaps earlier.

And about those creative uses. Is anyone planning on writing something for it? My favorite idea which could be applied to either it or the IR port was the game controller idea with some kind of video game running on the screen. it would be cool to be able to play a little Pong or some kind of vertical Tetris while I was waiting for somebuy/something in the car (or in the middle of high-speed traffic ).

I'm certainly not implying that empeg do anything about this. They have their hands full. But you've got to admit, there ain't much on the ol' developer's site these days. If I knew how to program half as well as most of the users on this board, I'd be pluggin' away at something right now! (although I can also understand if people are just waiting for their players first)

Anyway, sorry about all this stuff. The empeg's just got my imagination running wild!

ps-in the user's guide on page four (number three), on the pic of the back. what is the "link"?

DiGNAN

#11899 - 25/07/2000 13:58 Re: Serial Port [Re: Dignan]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
A newsletter is long overdue, and I must confess that I keep putting it off. I'll definitely find the time to write one very soon!

You can extend the serial port (within reason), and as far as insulation goes, just make sure that none of the pins can short to ground.

I got a bit bored with the "Uses for the serial port" section and so wound it up shortly after taking over the newsletter from Hugo. That kind of content will have a home on the forthcoming empeg Geek Site (which is starting to look better than our main site!).

I think the empeg developer community will take off in a big way over the next couple of months. Watch this space!

Rob

PS "Link" is the Ethernet link light - a trendy blue one.

#11900 - 25/07/2000 15:24 Re: Serial Port [Re: rob]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

In reply to:

a trendy blue one

Hehe, nice.

I'm sure once Mark II's are in stock the developers and their programs will come out of the woodwork.

But you have to admit, the developer's site could update their "FAQ". They've got old prices and advice on the floating grounds.

DiGNAN

#11901 - 25/07/2000 15:54 Re: Serial Port [Re: Dignan]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
The developer site is an independent resource run by an empeg owner. Hopefully we'll be able to provide an official reference for developers at our new Geek Site.

Rob

#11902 - 25/07/2000 20:25 Re: Serial Port [Re: rob]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Oh I was aware that you didn't have anything to do with that. That's why I wish some people who owned empegs and know a thing or two about programming would keep up the good work! The last thing I remember seeing was the program that let you control the unit via desktop PC.

I can't wait for that geek site though. It probably won't be of much use to me (not at that level), but it'll be that much more to read while waiting

DiGNAN