Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#113599 - 29/08/2002 04:09 Firewire Hard disc + USB + iBook + Win PC + Empeg2
Mario
stranger

Loc: Ireland
Hi Guys,

one of those odd questions.

I've just got today my new External Firewire + USB 2.0 (1.1 compatilble) 120 GB Sarotech Hardbox. Plug in the USB 1.1 socket of my Windows PC (at work) install USB driver, every works fine it found the 4 30 GB partitions. I plug the box in the Firewire socket of my Apple iBook OS X 1.5 ...wuaauu...fine...OS X recognizes the Hard disc and mounted the 4 30 GB Windows partitions. Everything as planned ideal to take with me and change data between my Windows PC and my iBook and much more....then I think wait a minute would it be possible to connect all together at once. Is it possible to connect the empeg on one USB port, the Hard disc to the other USB port and the Firewire to the ibook all at the same time and using the External Hardisk at the same time from both machines. I haven't tried yet (a bit scared of damaging the Hard disc Box)....anyone there knows if it works?

(Homepage)
www.livemyadventure.com

#113600 - 29/08/2002 04:26 Re: Firewire Hard disc + USB + iBook + Win PC + Empeg2 [Re: Mario]
tman
carpal tunnel

It won't work properly if you're plugging a machine into both interfaces on the external HD box. Even if it did allow you to, the chances of corruption are incredibly high since both machines would be trying to access the HD at the same time without any knowledge of the other. Chances are it won't physically damage the box but your data on it will be toast.

Morale of the story, don't do it

- Trevor

#113601 - 29/08/2002 04:44 Re: Firewire Hard disc + USB + iBook + Win PC + Empeg2 [Re: Mario]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
My firewire/usb2.0 combo says it CAN be used as a network drive, but I'm not sure if they mean across two operating systems. I wouldn't try it. Maybe you can connect the drive to one of the computers and enable it as a shared drive. Then connect the two computers via a ethernet connection.

#113602 - 29/08/2002 05:09 Re: Firewire Hard disc + USB + iBook + Win PC + Empeg2 [Re: tman]
Mario
stranger

Loc: Ireland
Guys,

OK, I got the message. Yes you are right. Good that I didn't try it (following my instict). Yes I've already connected both with Ethernet (100MB) and the Combo to the iBook firewire, that works great.