Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#113547 - 28/08/2002 15:00 Recent Theft
MHC
journeyman

Well, you guys got me scared this morning as I read about the recent thefts. I just shipped my car to LA to have some work done, so a friend picked me up to take me to work. I normally would have left my Empeg in her car while we went into a burrito shop to pick up some food, but due to the messages I read this morning, I took it in with me.

It wasn't until I got to work that I realized that I didn't leave the burrito shop with it.

We rushed back and they had it locked in the office for me. Thank god. Anyway, I decided that I'd better remember my serial number in case I really do lose it (or if it's stolen). Oddly enough, mine doesn't seem to have a serial number. Next to the car adapter port on the back it says "Serial Number" and there's an oval below it, but nothing engraved or even markered in that oval area. I do have a sticker on the bottom with a 9 digit number and a bar code. Is this the serial number? Kinda sketchy that it's only on a sticker that could be easily removed...

-Christian

#113548 - 28/08/2002 15:02 Re: Recent Theft [Re: MHC]
MHC
journeyman

One more note...
I've read that a few of you guys are using a blank faceplate like Tony's to try to detract would-be theifs. Doesn't this make it look more like one of those flip-around stereos... the kind where when the car is off, the faceplate simply turns around and is just plain black?

I personally think it's better to have a big gap in the dashboard. Then any would-be theif could clearly see that whatever goods were in the car are now gone.

-Christian

#113549 - 28/08/2002 15:13 Re: Recent Theft [Re: MHC]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
You about gave me a heart attack, Christian. Thought you were telling us you'd had it stolen. Don't scare me like that!

I do have a sticker on the bottom with a 9 digit number and a bar code. Is this the serial number?

Yup, that's it all right. *COUGH*FAQ entry*COUGH*

#113550 - 28/08/2002 15:16 Re: Recent Theft [Re: MHC]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Doesn't this make it look more like one of those flip-around stereos... the kind where when the car is off, the faceplate simply turns around and is just plain black?

Mine doesn't look like that, but I can't vouch for anyone else's. Keep in mind that my purpose for the cover is not to protect the empeg. I protect the empeg by bringing it with me. The cover is there to protect my windows from getting needlessly broken.

I agree that those flip-around things (or the ones that just go black) are useless and pitifully obvious.

#113551 - 28/08/2002 15:20 Re: Recent Theft [Re: tfabris]
MHC
journeyman

No, I think you're missing my point. If where your stereo goes is covered by a piece of black plastic (as I remember yours looking - and I think it might have said Honda in slightly raised letters), it could get mistaken for one of those flip around units.

So I'm saying that someone might break your window to try to get your fresh flip-around stereo. Just a thought.

-Christian

#113552 - 28/08/2002 15:38 Re: Recent Theft [Re: MHC]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I see your point, but I don't think mine looks like a flip-around. The orange words in my post should link you to a photo of it. I doubt that would get mistaken for a flip-around. Look at the picture, I think you'll agree.

You're right that if it did look like a flip-around, I might be at risk. But I think the risk is also relatively high to leave the empty hole, since they might break your windows looking for the pullout under the seat.

Some folks have modified plastic cubby-hole pockets so that they fit into the sled bay. These are nice and I don't think they'd have the drawbacks you cited. Tricky to get them looking right, though.

The "leave some dangling wires" is a cute trick, too, but that just looks plain ugly. Part of the reason I like my cover plate so much is because it's attractive and has that "stock" look. I didn't buy a brand new car just to make it look like crap whenever it's parked.

#113553 - 28/08/2002 15:42 Re: Recent Theft [Re: MHC]
DeadFire
addict

I happen to use the same faceplate. Because it reads "HONDA" instead of being blank or having an aftermarket stereo brand name, I feel (and so does Tony, I think) that it is less likely a thief will break in when there may only be a cheesy factory unit installed, if anything at all.

As far as I know, there isn't an aftermarket head unit with a flip-face that displays the make of your car on the back of the face, which would make it quite obvious that there is not a flip-face head unit installed. At least in my case, and Tony's.

#113554 - 28/08/2002 15:48 Re: Recent Theft [Re: DeadFire]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Even if it didn't say Honda on it, I still think that it doesn't look like the flip-faces because those are rather obvious when you see them. At least the ones pictured in the Crutchfield catalog look obvious to me. They just don't seem to match the car's factory plastic, and they often have seams that give them away.

#113555 - 28/08/2002 16:02 Re: Recent Theft [Re: tfabris]
DeadFire
addict

Another good point I had not thought of. I was never going to consider a head unit with a flip-face, anyway. When I first heard of them, I pretty much thought what you thought. So yes, even if it wasn't branded I'd still feel better about the faceplate than an empty hole.

I think it creates doubt. Even moreso because it's branded. Why take the chance on one car when in the next, you may be able to see something work the risk? Creating the doubt is enough. And of course, smarter theives will know that when they see a blank plate that matches the dash, that there's nothing to steal.

#113556 - 28/08/2002 18:54 Re: Recent Theft [Re: MHC]
V99

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Mine looks like

when I get out of the car.. it's an OEM Mazda part (that actually came there in my Miata) you can buy at a dealer for like $15 and it fits right into the sled with a bit of plastic hacking. Since it's a storage cubby instead of a flat plate it doesn't draw any suspicion, and you can actually use it for your sunglasses or something.

#113557 - 28/08/2002 19:03 Re: Recent Theft [Re: V99]
tman
carpal tunnel

That's very impressive actually, you can't tell that it's hiding the sled or anything else.

- Trevor

#113558 - 28/08/2002 19:05 Re: Recent Theft [Re: tman]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Of course, there's another thievable stereo right below it....

#113559 - 28/08/2002 19:08 Re: Recent Theft [Re: wfaulk]
tman
carpal tunnel

It's replaceable! Not like the empeg

- Trevor

#113560 - 28/08/2002 19:13 Re: Recent Theft [Re: wfaulk]
V99

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
It's also OEM, and it says Mazda and BOSE on it.. thieves won't touch it with a 10' pole

It will eventually be removed, but for now using it's line-in was easier than installing amps and speakers.

#113561 - 28/08/2002 19:39 Re: Recent Theft [Re: V99]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Mine looks like

Wow, I have been pretty happy with mine , but that mazda part looks sweet. I may have to pursue.

Overall, I like the pocket over a blank faceplate. Yes, looks OEM-ish *plus* holds the sunglasses. If someone steals my faceless kenwood (note to all trolling thieves: I do *not* leave the faceplate in the car!!), it can be replaced.

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#113562 - 28/08/2002 19:47 Re: Recent Theft [Re: V99]
DeadFire
addict

Very nice. Come to think of it... I have a pocket like that lying around somewhere. Never thought to see if it might fit. The pocket is about the right size... I think I shall have to try it out soon. Can't post any pics, though. No digital camera.

#113563 - 29/08/2002 02:40 Re: Recent Theft [Re: DeadFire]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
In reply to:

I happen to use the same faceplate. Because it reads "HONDA"

I would think that anyone who spotted a DeLorean with a dashboard that had a large honda H on it would be confused. I'm not sure what their reaction after that would be, however...

Matthew

#113564 - 29/08/2002 04:23 Re: Recent Theft [Re: tfabris]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Blimey Tony, you really ought to get that cough seen to....
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#113565 - 29/08/2002 07:11 Re: Recent Theft [Re: MHC]
bbowman
enthusiast

Loc: Virginia, USA
I still haven't installed mine, but my plan is to use the existing face plate of my Saab factory issue. I'll just have to cut off a few plastic pieces and glue on the knobs. Fortunately, the empeg fits in the slot in a somewhat retreated style, so there is space to fit the old faceplate on top. maybe later I can figure out some crazy locking mechanism. Attached is a pic of the fit and the faceplate to give the idea.

Attachments
111992-empeg.jpg (99 downloads)

Still looking for a good way to install in a 2010 BMW 3 series with iDrive/NAV

#113566 - 30/08/2002 09:54 Re: Recent Theft [Re: bbowman]

Loc: Dallas Texas USA
This might be a neat idea.. maybe I should have posted it on the Wish List forum a few years ago.

It would be cool if the docking sled had a spring mounted hinged cover on it so when the player were removed, the cover would slide shut and cover the empty hole.. and sliding the player back in would just move the cover back to its upright position.. am I making my idea clear?

I know that there is not enough physical space for that to happen but it doesnt hurt to dream..