Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#107339 - 25/07/2002 13:04 Noob-Type Questions
jets
enthusiast

Loc: Toronto, Canada
ok so i have been uploading and playing with my rio and i have a few questions that aren't really answered very well after combing the faq for answers.

i have figured out that once i drap and drop a tree in emplode, i can change the order in which the albums will play below Metallica for example. so instead of Metallica>And Justice for all>Ride The Lightning (alphabetically) it can play in the chronological order i specify: Metallica>Ride the Lightning>And Justice for All.

what i can't figure out is how to have them in 'correct' chronological order when sifting through the playlists on the riocar. if i play the "Metallica' playlist, it will play each song in the correct order, album by album. when browsing, thats not the case since it displays the albums alphabetically.

one other small thing is i cant figure out why sometimes i have the track info screen with album, year, etc. but the 'visual' info in 'on top.' what button do i press to get rid of it?

TIA

#107340 - 25/07/2002 13:11 Re: Noob-Type Questions [Re: jets]
mtempsch
pooh-bah

Loc: Gothenburg, Sweden
I believe what you are looking for is in this FAQ, specifically this part:

Note: By default, changing the "position" order of songs and playlists will alter their playback order, but not their alphabetical position in the player's "Playlists" menu. If you wish for the player's menu screen to show the playlists in position-order instead of alphabetically, there is an option in the "Configure Player" screen in emplode, on the Advanced tab. Turn off the "Sort playlist menu by title" option and synch. Use caution, however, because this makes it hard to use the numeric shortcut keys on the remote control when navigating the playlist menus.

/Michael

#107341 - 25/07/2002 13:19 Re: Noob-Type Questions [Re: jets]
jets
enthusiast

you know, it's only after type all this that i think i have a solution.

what if i were to put each album inside of each other in the order i want? so using the albums in the 1st post, the 'and justice for all' album would be inside the 'ride the lightning' folder along with 'and justice for all' songs.

would that work?

#107342 - 25/07/2002 13:22 Re: Noob-Type Questions [Re: jets]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
It'd work, but it'd be sloppier than a $10 whore after a navy ship left port.

Edit: hope that wasn't too out of line!

#107343 - 25/07/2002 13:26 Re: Noob-Type Questions [Re: jets]
DeadFire
addict

I have the year of each album as part of the name for that playlist. For example, there is the main Metallica playlist, and under you will find a sublist for each album, with a name like this: "1984 - Ride The Lightning". The next one is "1986 - Master Of Puppets". This way the albums play back in the correct chronological order.

#107344 - 25/07/2002 13:29 Re: Noob-Type Questions [Re: jets]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
what if i were to put each album inside of each other in the order i want?

You don't need to do anything fancy with the album folders. Just order them "by position", just like it says in the FAQ. Read that linked FAQ entry carefully and follow its instructions exactly. You can control the order of the albums and songs, you just have to know how.

#107345 - 25/07/2002 13:34 Re: Noob-Type Questions [Re: jets]
jets
enthusiast

"Turn off the "Sort playlist menu by title" option and synch. Use caution, however, because this makes it hard to use the numeric shortcut keys on the remote control when navigating the playlist menus. "

okay that must be in v2.0 because i'm still using 1.03 for my intitial uploading. but how does it make using the numeric buttons difficult?

EDIT: MAN YOU GUYS REPLY QUICKLY!

Edited by jets (25/07/2002 13:36)

#107346 - 25/07/2002 13:41 Re: Noob-Type Questions [Re: jets]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Switch to beta 13. Read through the entire FAQ entry by actually clicking on the link (the quote above was not the whole thing).

Then all will become clear.

#107347 - 25/07/2002 13:43 Re: Noob-Type Questions [Re: tfabris]
jets
enthusiast

okay thanks, by the way - is using hijack with B13 stable or 'okay'?

#107348 - 25/07/2002 13:44 Re: Noob-Type Questions [Re: jets]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

It's better than b11 was. It won't have certain problems with the synch that b11 did.

#107349 - 25/07/2002 21:07 Re: Noob-Type Questions [Re: tfabris]
jets
enthusiast

boy, i can't belive how many more option are available over v1.03! luckily, my installer isn't free until next week so i can spend some time learing how to use it in the safety of my home. i just made a few boot animations for it and they look cool. now all i have to figure out is how to disable the volume, freeze it at 0db and re-map the quick push of the knob so it will 'hush' the playback...

#107350 - 26/07/2002 08:03 Re: Noob-Type Questions [Re: jets]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Disabling the volume and locking it at 0db is in the settings menu under "Volume". Just turn it up to whereever you want and then go to the settings/volume menu.

Remapping the knob press to "hush"... I dunno, it's not one of mark's default features on the Knob Press Redefinition screen. Perhaps you could ask him to simply add that as an option in the Programming forum.

#107351 - 26/07/2002 08:25 Re: Noob-Type Questions [Re: tfabris]
jets
enthusiast

thanks tony, i guess i forgot to look in the most obvious place...

i've begun reading up on editing the config.ini and i thought that i could re-map the knob quick-push there. after posting this yesterday, i posted another idea (install notes forum) for 'hushing' the playback using an external switch connected through the audio interrupt lead on the sled. since the volume is now disabled altogether, i am going to try and re-map right-turning of the knob to switch between 'info' screens and left-turning of the knob to switch between the visuals. maybe then i can use the knob-push for a popup menu with stuff i want.

like i said, i can't belive how many options there are.

#107352 - 26/07/2002 09:22 Re: Noob-Type Questions [Re: jets]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Yeah, I would highly recommend a software solution to your "hush" thing rather than trying to hack a hardware switch.

#107353 - 26/07/2002 10:44 Re: Noob-Type Questions [Re: tfabris]
jets
enthusiast

oops

#107354 - 26/07/2002 10:52 Re: Noob-Type Questions [Re: tfabris]
jets
enthusiast

i'm starting to think so too. only problem is i'm quickly begining to realize that editing this config.ini is not as easy as i thought it would be. the faq helps and it would be nice if they had an actual example of a hacked config.ini (not just bits and pieces) with little notes pointing to strings telling morons like me what does what and why this is before that. i've grasped the concept but have yet to get the desired results. i think i'm getting the sequence in wrong or something. i've only created a few batch files and used dos here n' there so its frustrating for me. modifyers are driving me nutzo.

#107355 - 26/07/2002 10:56 Re: Noob-Type Questions [Re: jets]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Go make a post over in "programming" saying exactly what keystrokes you want to modify, and what you want the desired result to be. Tell them what you've tried so far. Someone will help you with the necessary magic codes to put in.