We diverted to a bit of Tori Amos discussion in the "Desert Island" thread, and I'm curious as to what you other Tori fans think of her latest offering, "Strange Little Girls." I of course own it, but I'm not all that impressed. I love a lot of her covers, but I think a majority of the covers on this album are uninspired.

Especially disappointing was "Heart of Gold." I LOVE Neil Young's original, but Tori has taken all of the emotion out of it and made it into a clone of "Raspberry Swirl" with all sorts of eerie sounds and fast club-like drumming. Come on! '97 Bonnie and Clyde was another terrible choice. Why even cover that song? Just because of the subject matter? Musically it's a complete miss. Raining Blood is pretty disastrous too.

I mean I like the title track, and "Real Men" and "I Don't Like Mondays" but I think she really picked some of these covers just to make people think "wow, she covered THAT?!?" rather than picking songs she had a good inspiration for, or a good idea on how to cover...

So, any opinions on this one?