Hi Sven,

The law as I state it was still the law as it was practiced five years ago, when it was thought to me (in school) by the district attorney of one of the major cities in Belgium. I don't believe the law has changed since then. (not sure though)

Just for fun, I pulled out my book of criminal law, edition '98-'99 in which it states (roughly translated) :
Book of criminal law, as written 09/06/1867, err. 05/10/1867, err. 02/12/1964/
Book two, title IX, crimes commited to properties
art.505 :
With a prison sentence of 15 days to five year and with a fine of 26Bfr to 100.000Bfr are being punished :
1) those who fence stolen, embezzled or by criminal acts optained goods or parts of them;
2) those who have bought, traded, have in their possession, keeping, or management goods of which they should know of should have known the origin;

... in other words : if you're in the possession of stolen goods of which can reasonably be assumed that there was no way for you to check their origin (like with goods bought from ebay) then you can't be charged with fencing and you get to keep to goods.
When it comes to cars, that's something entirely different, because cars come with official documents, serial numbers, licence plates,... all of them are sources that can be checked. So if you get burned there that "reasonable assumption" is not in effect.

Keep things in perspective guys, after all, this discussion began about a stolen Empeg, not a stolen car.

Please don't shoot the messenger, I'm merely stating it as it's been taught to me.