Originally Posted By: Dignan
...in the US, at least - the difference between an internet/TV bundle and plain internet is already pretty small, and when you add back in the cost of replacing the few shows you might watch with that big selection of channels, the added inconvenience that most cord-cutting solutions often comes with, you might as well just stick with the bundle....

This is accurate and is becoming hard for even me to ignore. When I met my wife, the only TV I paid for was the now-defunct Aereo service, so my personal live TV needs are very basic. We're now settled on YoutubeTV ($50) and Frndly ($7.99) as our only paid TV services. We don't have Netflix, HBO, Hulu, or anything like that. I have a promotional Fios 100/100 rate plan that runs about $42 per month after taxes. So, that's just-about $100 for TV and Internet.

Optimum is the local cable company that competes with Fios for TV and internet. They're currently running a promo that includes the standard 220+ channel cable package and 200Mbps internet for $64.99 "for life". Of course, that price does not include "taxes, fees, and charges" which they are free to tack on at will. Even if I called them today, it would be impossible to actually pay $64.99 since some of the fees are unavoidable such as "NY Sports Surcharge," "Broadcast TV redistribution fee" and nonsesne like that. But the deal is still very tempting if you don't need to rent their modem or cable boxes. It would definitely be under $90 with the CableCARD rental fee.

If you don't need much in the way of traditional television channels, locast.org might service your area. I've used Philo in the past as a low-cost addon for a handful of non-sports cable channels.