Given that the US government has said that the prisoners at Guantanamo were fighting the US, but that they can't have their rights under the Geneva convention I am very pleased that the Supreme Court has decided that they should have at least some of the rights they would have if they had been arrested in the US.

We have no guarantee that everyone in Guantanamo is guilty of whatever the US military think they are guilty of. We have a shameful precedent here in the UK of locking young men up for most of their adult life for terrorist acts they didn't commit.

Given this it is vital that the residents of Guantanamo are given some decent legal rights. The whole stupid Guantanamo situation has done immense harm to the the already battered reputation of the US in the rest of the world. I'm afraid it makes the US with its claim of a love of freedom seem hugely hypocritical.

It goes without saying that I don't blame every US citizen for all of this, but I don't think everyone else in the world is necessarily that generous.