Quote:
What kind of a meter did you use to measure the voltage? I'll bet it was a digital meter right? A digital meter has a very high input impedance. This is why your meter is reading a voltage on an open wire.

Well, if it's truly open, there should be no voltage at all. I guess the high impedance (yes, it is a digital multimeter) plus the inducted voltage means a much larger reading than I'd expect.

Quote:
Look closely at the switch recpt. You should see that one of the little copper tabs that ties the top and bottom of the recept has been removed. This is to allow only one of the plugs to be switched while the other is hot all of the time. Again this is normal. The switch in the wall should only effect one of the plug-ins in the switched recpt.

Yeah, I understood that part. I thought I'd mentioned the tab, but it probably got lost during the initial post. I tried to write it about five times, and I kept trying to go to the end of the line via Ctrl-E, which brought up Firefox's search page, and when I went back, all my text was gone. Fun!