Quote:
I'd say you could find recipes just about anywhere -- if not specifically for a dutch oven, then crock-pot recipes would work just as well. That's basically all a dutch oven is -- old-skool crock-pot. I like to cook roasts in them. Slap a roast in the pot, surround with quartered potatoes, and chopped celery, carrots, and onions. Fill pot with water (mix in some red wine, if you like) to cover the roast. Season to taste. Put it in the oven 'til done.

The main advantage that a dutch oven has over a crock-pot (or, in British English, that a cast-iron casserole has over a pottery one or a slow-cooker) is that you can put the dutch oven on the hob. This is useful for meat-based dishes, as you can brown the meat first by frying it, then fill the pot up and casserole in it, and all the Maillard reaction products that give browned meat its taste stay put and contribute to the final flavour. My favourite things to make in a cast-iron casserole are chicken (or, canonically, pheasant) à la normande, and lamb tagine.

Peter