Having something of a problem at the moment, so thought I'd gather together some questions for which I could really do with answers. BTW, I'm running developer v2.00 image on a Mk2a with a 30Gb Fujitsu and 60Gb Seagate as drives 0 and 1 resepctively.

First ot all, what does the empeg do with swap? There's no mention of it in fstab, yet e.g. mp3tofid uses swapon -a, but my understanding is that this enables swap on devices specified as swap in fstab, so by my reckoning it does nothing. Obviously I'm missing something here. What?

After it got rebooted when still rw, the second drive (/dev/hdc4) will not fsck, it fails with:-

no room for private writable mapping
error: -12
fsck.ext2: Memory allocation failed while retrying to read bitmaps for /dev/hdc

I then used the Builder image to re-initialise both disks and re-installed the developer 2.00 image, but a few issues are still niggling.

Any attempt to fsck /dev/hdc4 again still produces that same error. What is this, is it important, can I fix it? How?

Once running again and at the cmd prompt in HyperTerminal 'rw' produces a message saying "mount count exceeded, run fsck etc", but it is quick. fsck is simple and quick to do, but why would it say that immediately after the fresh install?

The music partitions don't require fsck, but 'rwm' takes forever, well, 3.5 minutes in fact. This is basically the sum of the times to mount each music partition rw, the larger disk taking the longer time, but I didn't time them individually. Setting 'ro' again is virtually instant.

I've been working with this empeg for some time and via telnet or ftp (I did have them available before re-initialising), rwm did not take that long, only maybe a second or so longer than setting 'ro'.

Needless to say I am relunctant to proceed with the rest of the setup until I know what's going on here. Why would both music partitions now be so slow, immediately after a fresh install?

Can anyone shed any light on these problems as I'm running out of ideas?