I couldn't believe it. At my polling place this morning, when you select a candidate, it turns red and puts a huge red X next to it. Basically exactly the opposite feedback for a user. My immediate reaction was "oh crap -- is this thing somehow backwards from what I'm thinking??". Come on, people, this is NOT that hard of a UI to design. Would a big green check mark kill you?

Anyway, I called my local election board and complained. Interestingly they had representatives from the voting machine company there when I called, so hopefully my gripe got passed along.

And last but not least, have a look at the question (this is actually what appears in the booth) for a new constitutional amendment:
Shall Section 6 of Article II of the Constitution of Virginia be amended to provide that members of the United States House of Representatives, Virginia Senate, and House of Delegates who are serving in the year following a new United States Census, when decennial redistricting is required, shall complete their terms of office and continue to represent the district from which they were elected for that term of office and that any vacancy during the term shall be filled from the same district that elected the member whose term is being filled?

That took me 3 read-throughs to understand what in the world they're asking. This is ridiculous. I have a constitutional amendment too -- it says "You shouldn't be allowed to write sentences that are 7 lines long and require a Juris Doctor to understand if you want regular people to interpret and vote on them."