Quote:
Quote:
so do the two or three clicks that will remove the device from your system before pulling the plug

No, absolutely not, I shoudln't have to do that, and I shouldn't need that damn icon in the task bar. That's just not right.

The other reason for making those three clicks is to give the OS a chance to warn about not unplugging the drive holding opened but unsaved work.

Anybody. Do these drives (firewire/usb) always report under My computer as "hard drives", or do any report in as a device with removable storage? I think the latter is what Tony wants, if it exists. (There is, isn't there, a difference in how windows handles the two?)

edit: Good News Tony. After noising around XP, I found that the for the usb drive I have, there is a policy setting "Optomize for Quick Removal" "This setting disables write caching on the disk and in Windows, so you can disconnect this device without using the Safe Removal icon." This is in Computer Managment/Device manager/Disk drives/device>properties/policies tab.

Edited by gbeer (28/10/2004 02:16)