Ok, I saw “The Village” and I thought it was a decent flick. The least favorite of mine so far, but I’ve liked them all. FWIW, I totally agree about Tony’s criticism of the shots of the trees- that was very distracting and really broke the flow of the scene.

Now to Bitt’s discussion:
Quote:
They are all about the choices that are made beyond our control.
I don’t think this is true. Not that I don’t see the links, but I think it is more a byproduct of the stories Shyamalan is telling and his style than an overt theme. If there is any theme running through all his movies, it’s that perceptions may be wrong and should be challenged. He loves to “pull the rug” out from under the audience and do a quick reveal that challenges the perceptions of both the main characters and the audience. It is this trait that gives the “choices made beyond our control” thread that seems to run through all FOUR of his movies. In each movie there is some belief held by the main characters (and often the audience) that is controlling the actions of everyone involved. Or at least that’s my take.

Regarding those in Signs who have no choice but supposedly exist for the sole sake of the main character’s faith, this might be true or it might be something else. In Christian theology (on which I assume this movie was based) the idea is NOT that God causes car accidents, failed dreams, illness, etc. The belief is that these are a result of the fallen world we live in (ultimately brought about my man’s choosing sin over God’s plan) but that God “works things out for the good of those who believe”. The Calvinism you spoke of merely states that man cannot choose to follow God without the enabling of the Holy Spirit- not that man’s actions are predetermined. In fact, it is mankind’s *choice* of sin that brought evil into the world. Of course, I really can’t say if Shyamalan had this distinction in mind (the difference between causing evil things and using evil things), but if he meant the latter then the tragedy’s effecting those around Graham were not brought about for his “faith adjustment,” God just used them for that.

All I mean to say is that I think you were probably right in your first understanding of Shyamalan’s intent in “Signs”- that it was about one man’s faith not the effect that has on those around him. The broader message (since I don’t really suppose Shyamalan is promoting Christian theology) is that whatever we believe or subscribe to our perceptions may not be correct and often it is our adherence to our misled beliefs that bind our actions.