Quote:
gpsd doesn't belong in ntpd. a gpsd client might, but really, does not. gpsd doesn't provide fine enough time resolution. it's a hack. yuck.

Well, I am increasingly interested in ntp and timing, but I am not a precision snob. Plus or minus a half second is fine by me, so I think ntp time derived from gpsd would be excellent.

Of interest, when I looked at the type 20 (non 1PPS) NMEA driver for ntp, I found that the patch that this guy wrote to take ntp time from nmead has been adopted in ntp driver source.

So I asked "Why wouldn't this work with gpsd?" And in fact it does. Symlinked loacalhost:2947 to /dev/gpsx and babing. See attached screenshot.

Only minor problem is that it stops reading and pauses at regular intervals, so NTP reachability stat never gets to where it should be. NTP pauses for about 25 seconds and then resumes after an incrementing auth_agekeys message. That may have something to do with my setup.

But it works more or less. It doesn't look like nmead is one of the projects you guys are going to assimilate/unfork, but maybe youse guys should talk!.

Attachments
242428-screen.png (96 downloads)

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.