RDS wish

Posted by: Lemmy

RDS wish - 22/08/2002 05:16

Hi,

just wishing a feature I've seen on the smallest, cheapest VW tuner:

manually trigger a RDS AF scan with a single press of a button.

bye,
[L]
Posted by: boxer

Re: RDS wish - 27/08/2002 02:23

I've been using RDS since the inception of the system and I've never had such a button.

But now I know they exist, I can see that it would be invaluable and can't imagine how I've done without all these years! Especially as we have been told that the upgrade on the Empeg tuner is a way away.

Maybe it would possible to write it in to hijack as a button re-definition - but I would hate to lose the the source selector on the volume control.

Re: RDS wish - 27/08/2002 06:07

In Antwort auf:

I've been using RDS since the inception of the system and I've never had such a button.

So you haven't been in contact with the cheapest RDS tuner there is... it does NO automatic AF scan. Only when you press that button.

bye,
[L]

Re: RDS wish - 27/08/2002 06:25

The spirit of my reply was to support your wish, rather than to pick fault in it - so don't knock it.

But no, unless I haven't read the instructions right, I've had factory fitted Volvo, Range Rover,Suzuki,Honda, Audi, M.G., Ford, Jaguar, Citroen and Peugeot head units and aftermarket Panasonic, Sony and Kenwood without such a button.
Posted by: rob

Re: RDS wish - 27/08/2002 13:31

This is completely pointless - the car player does an automatic RDS scan every 1 to 3 seconds (dependent on audio characteristics at the time).

OK, so the version YOU have doesn't do that. But you'll get it soon.

Rob
Posted by: lastdan

Re: RDS wish - 27/08/2002 16:12

what's RDS?
Posted by: tfabris

Re: RDS wish - 27/08/2002 16:14

FAQ entry here, home page at http://www.rds.org.uk .
Posted by: andy

Re: RDS wish - 27/08/2002 23:59

I have yet to find a RDS radio that switches when the signal gets to the point that I think it is worth switching, I always get better results by forcing a manual switch (every RDS radio I have used allows a manual switch by pressing the preset button for the current station again). They tend to hang onto the current frequency long after a clearer one is available.

It will be interesting to see if the new empeg RDS code finally meets my RDS AF requirements...

;-)

Re: RDS wish - 28/08/2002 01:27

In Antwort auf:

The spirit of my reply was to support your wish, rather than to pick fault in it - so don't knock it.

that was not my intention... just ranting about the VW alpha car tuner
(the cheapest tuner option with a new VW besides 'no radio at all')

bye,
[L]

Re: RDS wish - 28/08/2002 01:58

This is completely pointless

Take your point, but then the word "soon" caught my eye and boosted my spirits. So soon, it will be even more pointless than pointless!

If anybody is vaguely interested, or remembers my previous thread, fitting a new aerial on my fibreglass bodywork, with a thick cable earthing it to the chassis has made about a 500% improvement in the Empeg tuner quality.