FlanceEdit V6

Posted by: Jazzwire

FlanceEdit V6 - 19/02/2002 14:05

Another new version to play with...

It now includes FTP download from the empeg, configuration via ini file, status messages and more. Check the ReadMe for details.

FlanceEdit V6

Note...
As it no longer uses the registry, you'll need to reselect your empeg name and other options when run for the first time...
Posted by: muzza

Re: FlanceEdit V6 - 19/02/2002 14:17

neat.
Downloading now
Posted by: guardian__J

Re: FlanceEdit V6 - 19/02/2002 14:20

AWESOME!!!
Thanks...

I've created a few new moves... some Pole Dancers...they look funny...
Posted by: tfabris

Re: FlanceEdit V6 - 19/02/2002 14:23

Well, let's see them!

And when is someone going to do EV'RYBODY WAS KUNG-FU FIGHTING!!!!!

Re: FlanceEdit V6 - 19/02/2002 14:34

they said they aren't ready...they're shy around others...

I'm still working on making it timed right...
I need more then just two...soon though...
anybody got ideas?
Posted by: LTJBukem

Re: FlanceEdit V6 - 19/02/2002 16:00

This is just awesome and one of the funniest things i've seen in ages.

I'm trying to understand how the dance gets chosen. It seems that each man chooses BreakDance, PrinceDance, StonkDance and then sticks to it unitl the visual is reselected or reseeded.

Within each Dance, the next move is selected randomly as the last move is completed. It seems the last 2 single frame moves serve the purpose of moving the guy about ?

So presently, does anyone know a way of syncronising the men (into routines), or getting then to choose the same dance, or linking the dance to a genre, or is this controlled within the visual itself.
Posted by: LTJBukem

Re: FlanceEdit V6 - 19/02/2002 16:11

More testing ... it seems the last move never gets selected. So I don't know why it's there.

It seems to randomly select any move but the last one within a paticular dance. Then either play it, or mirror image play it.

Re: FlanceEdit V6 - 19/02/2002 16:50

First I'll say awesome...
I love it...
and I'll attach my file, warning: It's a bit risque

Next: feature tweaks
1. could you add exit to the end of the file menu?
I know it sounds dumb, but I'm used to windows apps and I almost hit reboot everytime...
2. do you think it could save in the ini, the last past it loaded from or saved too?
I hate having to navigate from C:\ everytime
3. I think it would be easier for some people if you had a way to enter the ftp password through the interface. Maybe that's doesn't matter since anyone setting ftp passwords should know how to look in the ini, but the first time I tried and it said wrong password, I was like "Hey where do I enter one?"

thanks

Re: FlanceEdit V6 - 19/02/2002 16:54

Tony,
I posted the dancers in my last message in this thread...btw
Posted by: dmob

Re: FlanceEdit V6 - 19/02/2002 17:02

How did you put the pole in there?

Re: FlanceEdit V6 - 19/02/2002 17:03

It's just the forearm
That's why one hand always is at the top...

"You have to realize the spoon isn't really there."

Re: FlanceEdit V6 - 19/02/2002 17:03

never mind - I see it now

Re: FlanceEdit V6 - 19/02/2002 17:04

I need more ideas for moves to add to it...
any ideas?

Re: FlanceEdit V6 - 19/02/2002 17:06

maybe some sort of hand stand on the poll... slide the top hand down anout 3/4 and then have the feet come up and over the head into a hand stand type position.

Re: FlanceEdit V6 - 19/02/2002 17:07

good idea...
I'll have to work on that later tonight...

Re: FlanceEdit V6 - 19/02/2002 17:08

although, I guess that won't work because you would lose the top of the pole....
Posted by: Jazzwire

Re: FlanceEdit V6 - 19/02/2002 17:10

That's quite a neat trick to make the pole... =)

I've implemented the first 2 suggestions (I've been meaning to store the last used paths for a while, but kept forgetting)

I'll put some username and password dialogs into V7 before release (probably be some time tomorrow before I've got a chance to work on it again)

Re: FlanceEdit V6 - 19/02/2002 17:10

well...I can just lose the bends in the arms and make one go each way for the pole...
I had that for a while with the ones now, but I wanted one arm to bend...

but more i think...maybe it won't...
sounds like you gave me a good challenge.. :-)

Re: FlanceEdit V6 - 19/02/2002 17:11

great...thanks...

I'm ok with it now...
just thought it's be a nice upgrade :-)
Posted by: mandiola

Re: FlanceEdit V6 - 19/02/2002 17:32

I was bored... heh
Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: FlanceEdit V6 - 19/02/2002 17:44

What'd really be cool is animated GIF's or PNG's of the dances!

Re: FlanceEdit V6 - 19/02/2002 17:47

That is too cool and funny. These are great! everyone keep them coming!

LOREN! Where are yours?! You're an animator for crissakes!

I now officially apologize for having sat on the filespec for so long without writing an editor. This should have happened a long time ago!
Posted by: loren

Re: FlanceEdit V6 - 19/02/2002 18:47

like i said in another thread... Flance anims and the FAQ are loosing out priority wise to my home component empeg box at the moment... and i'm crushed at work already for E3, so i don't have much spare time on my hands. I'll get to it I swear! =]

Re: FlanceEdit V6 - 19/02/2002 19:49

come on man...
I'm interested it what kind of stick figures LucasArts would create :-)
Posted by: TheAmigo

Re: FlanceEdit V6 - 19/02/2002 19:55

Cool! More new features to play with!

Bugs:
- When doing an FTP download, it doesn't warn about unsaved changes.
- File load doesn't warn about unsaved changes.
- Not sure exactly how to reproduce, but when adding more moves than the original had (may have to add 3 so you're working with ones past the 2 blanks) I often get an error dialog reading "List index out of bounds (-1)" when I select a high-numbered move.
Example: stonkdance.raw has 2 moves and 2 blanks. I added many more moves. When I select move 0, 1 or 2, it's fine. When I select move 3, I get "List index out of bounds (0)" when I select anything higher than 3, I get (-1) rather than (0). V5 and V6 give the same error, but V4 says "Access violation at address 5105F611 in module 'FLACEEDIT.EXE'. Read of address FFFFFFFF" (not sure if that helps at all).

Cosmetic request:
- Most windows apps put an elipsis (...) after menu options that will pop up a dialog to ask for more info (just Load, Save, Rename Move & Set Grid Size, not Delete Frame/Move).

Feature request:
- I have no idea how hard (or easy) it is to add drag-and-drop support... e.g. drag a .raw file into the editor window and have it load that file.

Having both FTP upload and download makes it so it's easier to just work with the files on the empeg than it is to save to C:

Re: FlanceEdit V6 - 19/02/2002 20:35

one's with lightsabers obviously.

Re: FlanceEdit V6 - 19/02/2002 20:46

hey...that gives mean idea...
your company won't sue me will they ?
Posted by: mandiola

Re: FlanceEdit V6 - 19/02/2002 21:27

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but what about a way to import/export moves. I was working on one at my gf's house but when i got home i was not able to merge the one here at home with that one. I tried to open flance edit twice to copy and past frames from one to another but that didnt work as well.

Just a suggestion, not complianing ; ). I love the program.

-Greg
Posted by: JrFaust

Re: FlanceEdit V6 - 19/02/2002 22:25

Hope you don't mind I edited in the Pole dance (got to love the pole dancers)
Posted by: hybrid8

Re: FlanceEdit V6 - 19/02/2002 22:40

Is there a $40 option for that pole dancing routine? How about the $80 option?

Bruno

Re: FlanceEdit V6 - 19/02/2002 22:42

Then it wouldn't be a pole dance, any more, would it? It would be a rather different kind of dance.
Posted by: SE_Sport_Driver

Re: FlanceEdit V6 - 19/02/2002 22:50

We call it the "Windsor Ballet" here because of the lax'd laws in Windsor compared to Detroit.
Posted by: hybrid8

Re: FlanceEdit V6 - 19/02/2002 23:20

Things can get pretty raunchy in some Ontario places so I hear. But. Let me tell you, I've never heard of any place around here where what's done in San Francisco is acceptable/common practise. Centerfolds in San Fran. Nice. Very very nice.

And Tony. It could still be a pole dance...

Bruno

Re: FlanceEdit V6 - 19/02/2002 23:22

I have to post one for all that remember Beavis & Butthead.
Posted by: justinlarsen

Re: FlanceEdit V6 - 20/02/2002 02:30

here my attempt at the ait guitar, as seen in bill and teds excilent adventure.. it looks ways better on the player than on the editor.

Re: FlanceEdit V6 - 20/02/2002 02:46

im sure you all could love this one.. ill see you at the YMCA!

Re: FlanceEdit V6 - 20/02/2002 02:47

last one for tonite.. it turned out bad.. im going to have to redo it.. i remember this dance from the weezer boddy holly video.. dafonze at the end doign something simliar to this.. but it just looks weird when i made it

Re: FlanceEdit V6 - 20/02/2002 09:00

how'd you copy the moves from one file to another?
you didn't actually copy every frame did you???
that must have taken a long time...it looks good though...

Re: FlanceEdit V6 - 20/02/2002 09:03

yeah...I've been trying to do lap dancers...they look dumb though, with no laps to dance on. I wish they could interact...

I'm working on recreating the first light saber fight (between Obi Wan and Darth Vader) hopefully it will happen to pick them both with two different dancers...
It's hard though...
I don't know if I'll be able to finish...

Re: FlanceEdit V6 - 20/02/2002 09:07

here's the pole dancers with that weird head stand splits thing...looks funny I think....

Re: FlanceEdit V6 - 20/02/2002 13:03

doesn't look that funny... nice work!

Re: FlanceEdit V6 - 20/02/2002 13:08

thanks man...
i have it running on my desk here at work,
I was talking to someone then I realized they were looking past me at the empeg...
They said "what the heck is that??" (refering to the pole dancers, it only had two dancers on screen and both were pole dancing..)
hehe...

Re: FlanceEdit V6 - 20/02/2002 23:52

Yes I did, I used the X,Y coordinates to copy each frame I was board at the time it was fun to do, though it would be nice to be able to import dance moves into others (i.e. merge dances) hint hint wink wink Jazzwire.
Posted by: mlord

Re: FlanceEdit V6 - 21/02/2002 11:01

Okay, quick question (anybody): Do the new dances replace existing ones, or are they just added to the player's list?

Thanks

Re: FlanceEdit V6 - 21/02/2002 11:07

replace
Posted by: rob

Re: FlanceEdit V6 - 21/02/2002 14:00

Brilliant work on this! You've made Toby very happy

Rob

Re: FlanceEdit V6 - 21/02/2002 14:06

Brilliant work on this! You've made Toby very happy

Cool! How about asking Toby if he can allow (in future releases) for a filespec which allows for any number of randomly-named dancer files in the /empeg/lib/visuals folder. For instance, maybe it could parse for "*dance.raw" instead of loading three specific files. Then we can mix'n'match.

Oh, and I have to say the magic word:

visual

Posted by: wfaulk

Re: FlanceEdit V6 - 21/02/2002 23:43

All this talk about Toby only responding to ``visual'' has made me want to do this for a while, and I apologize in advance, whether it works or not:

KIBO
Posted by: ninti

Re: FlanceEdit V6 - 22/02/2002 03:12

ROTFL. Haven't heard that name in a while.
Posted by: frog51

Re: FlanceEdit V6 - 22/02/2002 09:06

Does Kibo still respond?

Re: FlanceEdit V6 - 22/02/2002 12:58

my flace edit mission for tonite will be liquid dancing.. like raving and what not.. this is going to be bad ass..
Posted by: mlord

Re: FlanceEdit V6 - 23/02/2002 09:19

Mmm.. I've been wondering how to get more than three dance styles into the player simultaneously..

Could it be as simple as just "concatenating" the moves from several dances into a single .raw file.. ??

Anyone try this?

Re: FlanceEdit V6 - 24/02/2002 23:43

Here's an updated BeavisDance (if any one cares)

Re: FlanceEdit V6 - 24/02/2002 23:46

And here's a new one of some old school hiphop dancing.